Lone Pine/cost

  • sierra_marmot
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
      The Dow has long been the favorite motel in Lone Pine because of its central location; rooms 100-108 were upgraded a few years back, the rest are pretty standard motel rooms. The Best Western Frontier at the south edge of town is good. But both are expensive, $80-100/night. The other motels in Lone Pine are about $5 less, but are just motels, nothing fancy. Not sure which direction you're headed, or how...but Ray's Den in Independence is a price performer. Here's a google link.

      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=motels+in+independence+CA&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

      Also: good advice on food, VVR, MTR in the last posting. Although not as satisfying as a comfortable motel room, you can get a shower and good meal at the Whitney Portal store http://www.whitneyportalstore.com and perhaps get a campsite for your last night; then skip Lone Pine completely the next day.

      John Randall
    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
        We usually spend a night or two at the Dow each summer - pool is great,
        Pizza Factory and Alabama Cafe are close. If on a budget, stay at the
        Mt. Whitney Hostel a block north of the Dow

        http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=50375&page=1#Post50375

        and here's the view from the Hostel today:

        sierra_marmot wrote:

        > The Dow has long been the favorite motel in Lone Pine because of its
        > central location; rooms 100-108 were upgraded a few years back, the
        > rest are pretty standard motel rooms. The Best Western Frontier at the
        > south edge of town is good. But both are expensive, $80-100/night. The
        > other motels in Lone Pine are about $5 less, but are just motels,
        > nothing fancy. Not sure which direction you're headed, or how...but
        > Ray's Den in Independence is a price performer. Here's a google link.
        >
        > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=motels+in+independence+CA&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
        > <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=motels+in+independence+CA&aq=f&oq=&aqi=>
        >
        > Also: good advice on food, VVR, MTR in the last posting. Although not
        > as satisfying as a comfortable motel room, you can get a shower and
        > good meal at the Whitney Portal store
        > http://www.whitneyportalstore.com <http://www.whitneyportalstore.com>
        > and perhaps get a campsite for your last night; then skip Lone Pine
        > completely the next day.
        >
        > John Randall

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
          "The Dow has long been the favorite motel in Lone Pine because of its central location"

          I have to laugh and smile at this one, as everything in Lone Pine is, "Centrally located."

          No, the best thing about the Dow, without a doubt, is the twenty-four-hour hot tub and the view to whitney, not to forget the steady rumble of big-rigs rumbling through, reminding you that tomorrow you gotta get up and thumb out.

          If you've just spent xx amount of days on the trail and you're kinda tired of hearing all that your buddy has to say, you might want to check into the Dow. Oddly enough, this last August, the room rates went down, but usually, for the convenience rooms (shower and toilet down the hall) they are about $55.

          You get either two single beds or you can ask for one double, of which I don't think they have that many.

          Yes, there's a shower at the Portal, but it's not always operational and really––the only stinkin' reason to take a shower at the portal is if you are getting picked up right there and plan on driving down and right past (okay, maybe you'll stop for a meal) Lone Pine.

          Otherwise, chug a six-pack and a burger at the portal, stick out your smelly thumb out and get down to the Dow.

          The Government has spent billions of tax-payer dollars to determine one simple fact which is, do clean people get picked up more than dusty, smelly, smiling faces on the road leading out of the portal and the answer is, no.

          Clean people are suspect. They don't have a story or a truth worth telling (just look at your politicians) and what the hell would they be doing at the portal anyway.

          Stinky people––especially those with backpacks, got something to say. They've got a big smile and a suddenly happy gait. they've just come off the mountain and they deserve a ride down, smelly as they might be, to the Dow and all the other 'centrally located' things that they've ignored for so long . . . yeah, it's easy to get a ride off the portal, even if you're a tiny bit dirty.

          And there's no greater triumph . . . you thought standing atop Whitney was the pinnacle, but no––the real glory is stepping out of the hot sun and into the cool, calm of the Dow's reception area and there you stand, amongst the glances from antiseptically clean housewives and European tourists with clean socks up to their knees and you, all smelly and fully of mother natures perfect hair product, and if you turn just the right way, you can get a whiff of what you've become and the euro's will look at you and their faces will ask the question and you will raise one arm (but not too high) and point out the window, up to that distant peak and say, "there. I come from up there."

           . . . and now for that cup of coffee. Stay safe on the roads out there this holiday (I'm bumming a ride to AZ. oh boy!)

          bob

          sparklefart.blogspot.com

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
            I forgot to mention:

            "If you've just spent xx amount of days on the trail and you're kinda tired of hearing all that your buddy has to say, you might want to check into the Dow. Oddly enough, this last August, the room rates went down, but usually, for the convenience rooms (shower and toilet down the hall) they are about $55. "

            But if you're lovin' the group thing, then check into and save bucks at the Whitney Hostel. I've never tried it, simply because it has no hot tub and by the time I leave the VVR––I've already had my four-five guys in a room , thrill.

            Again, and it bears repeating, but when you go to VVR, make sure you know what you're getting as far as free goes. Used to be that you could get a free night in all the tent cabins but this summer, my meager budget and trust were shocked to find that We owed like $55.00 for the tent cabin––the only one that was free was #4 . . .

            . . . . and I made such a "know it all," rush . . . off the boat, up the hill, in and out of the store and then a sprint to the nearest tent cabin and . . . well, it wasn't right then at check in that they told me, but the next morning when I went in to tally up, feeling good and ready to get on the trail and then the little calculator chirping, fingers prancing . . . " and fifty-five dollars for the tent cabin . . . "  I couldn't even get a 'been here a zillion times' discount. It wasn't the taste I wanted upon my departure.

            Still, the VVR is great place to pick up a re-supply, mingle with your trail mates and drop about $90-125 for a night.

            sparklefart.blogspot.com

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: bobolonius@...
            Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:54:48 +0000
            Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Lone Pine/cost

            http://www.summitpo st.org/plans/ view_activity. php?post_ id=6480

            To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
              > Still, the VVR is great place to pick up a re-supply, mingle with your
              > trail mates and drop about $90-125 for a night.

              I think we spent $78 for three big meals, a one-way boat ride and a
              resupply package for three this summer. Very well worth it. No shower,
              didn't stay there overnight, but hiked out across the dam after eating,
              and found us a very nice private camp site just up the first few hundred
              steps up the Bear Ridge Trail.

              First beer is free - I was told by "Russell the Shark Wrestler" this
              September at Rae Lakes, who said to mention his name when asking for
              that first free beer at Vermillion ;-)