Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT book

  • Peter Burke
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 17, 2009
      Roleigh Martin wrote:
      > This is incredibly good. What is the pricing, it gives a range of
      > pricing when you click on the link, based upon the page count and
      > paper quality. What is your page count?

      > http://www.blurb.com/create/book/pricing
      > <http://www.blurb.com/create/book/pricing>
      > Phenomenally fantastic job. What software is used to put the book
      > together. My hat is off to you. I am really impressed.

      120 - I marked it up a whopping $10 off the raw cost if you do it
      yourself. Premium paper in that large size is pretty expensive.

      Before I started, I bought a $50 book in smaller format before I took
      the plunge to do this for my kids, figuring I didn't want to buy $ 200
      worth of books and hate the quality in the end. If you feel like making
      a book there, just browse what they have and find something you can give
      somebody else as a gift - I bought a book about the Boundary Waters of
      Minnesota for a friend who loves to go there, and he totally loves the
      book. For me it was a sign that the printing really is great. The
      software - well, it's 95% the free download "Booksmart" you get from
      Blurb. All I did in addition was a very small amount of Photoshop to
      create the large sat maps from Google (and make sure to follow their
      conditions for appropriate use and crediting). That part took almost as
      long as writing the text and doing the layout for the entire thing. The
      photos are all off a small Canon camera I carried as a backup along next
      to the HD campcorder (taking still images was not really part of the
      plan this year), so the images could have been a little better, however,
      they printed very well and the resolution was enough for some full page
      spreads.

      Peter

      > On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Peter Burke <pburke@...
      > <mailto:pburke@...>> wrote:
      >
      > I just published my first book I guess, and even though I don't expect
      > anyone but myself to buy it, here's a link with full preview so
      > you can
      > get some ideas of what to do with your next batch of JMT photos (these
      > Blurb books aren't cheap, but then they are one-off and for that they
      > are amazing)
      >
      > http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1047557
      > <http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1047557>
      >
      > abstract - if you have some 11-year-old twins you're trying to
      > convince
      > that they JMT is the thing to do next summer, this book is for you. I
      > made the book to get them motivated for bigger things in 2010 by
      > giving
      > them something of real substance to help them realize how special
      > their
      > last trip was.
      >
      > Peter

      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>

    • dkronsta
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 17, 2009
        I have not used it, but another option for self-publishing is lulu.com.

        Dan

        > This is incredibly good. What is the pricing, it gives a range of pricing
        > when you click on the link, based upon the page count and paper quality.
        > What is your page count?
        >
        > http://www.blurb.com/create/book/pricing
        >
        > Phenomenally fantastic job. What software is used to put the book
        > together. My hat is off to you. I am really impressed.

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 17, 2009

          Thanks so much for sharing this Peter –what a beautiful book – and what an inspiring trip – even to this 60 year old!  Barbara.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 17, 2009
            Peter,
                Thanks for this  one really Fine book!!  Great images..and..
                     nice to see photos of the kids...

                                                         Patt

            I just published my first book I guess, and even though I don't expect
            anyone but myself to buy it, here's a link with full preview so you can
            get some ideas of what to do with your next batch of JMT photos  (these
            Blurb books aren't cheap, but then they are one-off and for that they
            are amazing)

            http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1047557

            abstract - if you have some 11-year-old twins you're trying to convince
            that they JMT is the thing to do next summer, this book is for you. I
            made the book to get them motivated for bigger things in 2010 by giving
            them something of real substance to help them realize how special their
            last trip was.

            Peter

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                johnmuirtrail-digest@yahoogroups.com
                johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • John
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 17, 2009
              Great looking book Peter, nice job.

              John

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 19, 2009
                Eric, have you received the book and your comments are based upon the real item or on the web photos?

                On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Eric <egerber@...> wrote:
                I don't know Peter but bought the book based on the photos on the link he provided on this sight and its fabulous. Really wonderfully put together and great photography.

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 20, 2009
                  Roleigh Martin wrote:

                  > Eric, have you received the book and your comments are based upon the
                  > real item or on the web photos?
                  >
                  > On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Eric <egerber@...
                  > <mailto:egerber@...>> wrote:
                  >
                  > I don't know Peter but bought the book based on the photos on the
                  > link he provided on this sight and its fabulous. Really
                  > wonderfully put together and great photography.

                  He BOUGHT the book? wow, I missed that.. I hope you are totally into
                  the hardcopy thing, because those photos are online on my web site,
                  although not in this layout and without the satellite maps and
                  informational text. There is something about holding a book in your
                  hands, but these things are expensive. Could pay for one year of Spot
                  service with the cost of that book, or have a downpayment on a Bearikade
                  canister :)
                  Here's the web site again, for those who are happy with pictures on
                  their LCD screens - gallery section top link. Also, don't miss the
                  panoramic deep-zoom images on the right side of the gallery page

                  http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/Muir2009/default.html

                  Peter
                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 21, 2009
                    I am so sorry but I made a mistake. I actually bought and thought I was commenting on John Dittli's book (link below) and assumed this was the same thread. I failed to go back and double check the author name (John not Peter) before I posted. Please accept my apoligies for any confusion I may have created.

                    Eric

                    http://johndittli.com/site/content/view/57/48/