Re: [John Muir Trail] Digest Number 104

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2004
      Mark,

      Water wont be a problem anywhere on the JMT that a
      couple of hours of hiking cant take care of. You'll
      find plenty of cool, clear, and sweet water all along
      the route that I only pack 1-liter at a time. As far
      as food resupply, if you head North to South, you can
      resupply at Tolumne Meadows at the 30-mile point. At
      Red Meadow (60-mile point)you can take the shuttle
      into Mammoth Lakes where you can find a full selection
      of outdoor supplies of every description or just pick
      up some basic provisions at the campground store
      (along with a HOT shower and a good meal at the
      restaurant. Lake Vermilion, at about the 90-mile
      point, is a popular stop over and rest among PCT
      trekkers and other long-distance hikers. For a fee,
      you can mail packages to yourself there to pick up.
      However I heard that the former owner Butch committed
      suicide and new people now own the resort so things
      may have changed. I hope not. It was a real popular
      stop over among long-distance hikers. South of Lake
      Vermilion and for a fee you can pick up packages
      mailed to you at Muir Ranch at about the 110-mile
      mark. After Muir Ranch you will have to get off the
      trail(figure 30 to 40-mile round-trip) to resupply OR
      Pick up enough supplies at the ranch to complete the
      trek.

      For a guide, I recommend "Starr's Guide to the John
      Muir Trail and the High Sierra Region" published by
      the Sierra Club which the 12th Revised edition is the
      latest. This edition was published in 2 formats: A
      small format which fits conveniently in your hand and
      packs nicely in your pocket and a more recent and
      larger version which I find inconvenient to carry.
      Both have the same content-they just enlarged the
      dimensions and raised the price. I bought mine (the
      smaller format version) at a used bookstore for $3.50.
      Also helpful is "Guide to the John Muir Trail" by
      Thomas Winnett and Kathy Morey.

      Finally, the Pacific Crest Trail Association,
      www.pcta.org posts the latest trail conditions along
      the trail as reported by hikers. Keep in mind,
      though, that they start in the south and follow the
      snow line north, at least that's the plan. For me,
      that's a great time to be on the JMT as there is
      plenty of snow on the peaks (and in the passes too!)
      and they are a great group to run into. Plenty of
      can-do spirit if you know what I mean.

      Hope this helps.

      - Mark Goforth <goforthmark@...> wrote:
      > does the group have a file, or recommended text on
      > the trail?
      > drop-off and pick-up points, water, etc.?

      > removed]

      =====
      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
    • pdahl2@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2004
        I do not know of such a file. I hiked the JMT in 13 days last year. REI sells Guide to the John Muir Trail by Thomas Winnett & Kathy Morey. I found it very helpful in planning the hike, resupplying and even locating campsites along the trail.

        PD

        Mark Goforth <goforthmark@...> wrote:

        >does the group have a file, or recommended text on the trail?
        >drop-off and pick-up points, water, etc.?

        Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

      • pdahl2@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2004
          I resupplied by mailing myself a package to Red's Meadow Resort, Vermillion Valley Resort and Muir Trail Ranch. You can find their web sites by doing a Google search. The new owner of Vermillion Valley Resort is great. I met him and several employees all of whom welcomed hikers.