Weather advisory

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2009
      I doubt that we have any group members on the JMT this late in the year, but if anyone has family or friends out there, and they call in, give them a heads up, especially if they are North of Tuolumne Meadows in places like Desolation or Granite Chief Wilderness areas or near the Sierra Buttes.

      Snow is predicted for the Northern Sierra as low as 7500 ft tonight (Wednesday) and as low as 5,000 ft. tomorrow (Thursday).  (Northern Sierra is roughly Tuolumne Meadows and North past I-80, so this may pass to the North of the JMT)

      . Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect from 7 PM this
      evening to 1 PM PST Thursday...

      A Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect from 7 PM this
      evening to 1 PM PST Thursday for the West Slope of the northern
      Sierra Nevada.

      Snow will be possible over the higher terrain Wednesday evening
      with snow levels initially around 7500 feet. Snow will increase
      Wednesday night into Thursday morning becoming moderate to heavy
      at times with snow levels lowering to around 5000 feet Thursday
      morning. Snowfall accumulations of up to 6 inches will be possible
      above 7000 feet with up to 2 inches above 5000 feet. In
      addition... southwest wind gusts to around 40 mph will be possible
      over the higher terrain Wednesday night into Thursday morning.
      Snow will decrease Thursday morning with scattered snow showers
      continuing into Thursday afternoon.

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707