Great Hiking and Outdoor Memoirs
- The link is here:
Includes variety of memoirs of the PCT which include the JMT and SEKI areas. Nice collection of the books.
Sent to you by Roleigh Martin via Google Reader:via sectionhiker.com by Earlylite on 11/9/09
I really like reading hiking and outdoor memoirs because they combine personal insights and emotions with the writers' experience of everyday routine, physical trials, town encounters, and natural wonder. There's a richness in them that you don't often find in autobiographies or more episodic trail journals and trip reports.
I was working on my holiday gift lists this weekend and thought I'd pull together a list of my favorite hiking memoirs for you. I've read many of these and can recommend them. The rest – I hope someone will buy me!
- AWOL on the Appalachian Trail
- Blind Courage
- As Far as the Eye Can See
- A Walk for Sunshine: A 2,160 Mile Expedition for Charity on the Appalachian Trail
- In Beauty May She Walk; Hiking the Appalachian Trail at 60
- DEAD MEN HIKE NO TRAILS
- Remember The Carrot: A Change Of Pace On The Appalachian Trail
- Appalachian Impressions (DVD)
- TREK – A Journey on the Appalachian Trail (DVD)
Pacific Crest Trail
- Dances With Marmots – A Pacific Crest Trail Adventure
- A Thru-Hiker's Heart, Tales of the Pacific Crest Trail
- A Blistered Kind of Love: One Couple's Trial by Trail
- Zero Days: The Real Life Adventure of Captain Bligh, Nellie Bly, and 10-year-old Scrambler on the Pacific Crest Trail
- Walk (DVD)
- Walking The West (PCT)
- Listening for Coyote: A Walk Across Oregon's Wilderness
- The Sierra High Route: Traversing Timberline Country
- The Man Who Walked Through Time: The Story of the First Trip Afoot Through the Grand Canyon
- A Thousand-Mile Walk to the Gulf
- John Muir : Nature Writings: The Story of My Boyhood and Youth; My First Summer in the Sierra; The Mountains of California; Stickeen; Essays
- One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey
- Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness
- The Last Season
- The Munros and Tops: A Record-Setting Walk in the Scottish Highlands
- Ten Million Steps: Nimblewill Nomad's Epic 10-Month Trek from the Florida Keys to Quebec
- Traversa: A Solo Walk Across Africa, from the Skeleton Coast to the Indian Ocean
- No Shortcuts to the Top: Climbing the World's 14 Highest Peaks
- Touching My Father's Soul: A Sherpa's Journey to the Top of Everest
If you have any other hiking or outdoor memoirs you'd like to recommend please leave a comment below.
- Best Outdoor Blogs – Trip Reports I love reading blogs that post multi-day backpacking or mountaineering...
- The Great Eastern Trail I love the Appalachian Trail, but on weekends and in...
- Hiking in Scotland: The TGO Challenge Warning: Another big adventure in the works. I've decided to...
- Hiking Footwork Next time you go hiking try paying close attention...
- Good Craic – Best Outdoor Blogs Have you noticed? We are experiencing a huge renaissance in...
Things you can do from here: