Re: Here's a round trip idea...

  • ndeewoods
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2003
      Well I've done approx 60 miles of it and I would have to say it is
      definitely not for novices or those lacking navigation/map reading
      skills...and in places not for the faint of heart. But it was
      gorgeous. Thinking of doing another piece this summer. Navigation
      makes me go so much slower that when I go to do the whole thing it
      would be nice to have done major portions of it so the navigation
      wouldn't slow me down on such a long trip.
      Dee
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <dive_hike@y...> wrote:
      > I met someone who soloed Roper's High Route a few years ago (the
      > full 200 miles). She said it was incredible and very isolated.
      She
      > said some of the passes were a little difficult with a full pack
      > (She is a VERY experienced climber / hiker).
      >
      > Here is a very nice online write up:
      > http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ca/roper_highsierra.htm
      >
      > It sounds like fun!
      > Best to all.
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Steve Roper's high sierra route. He has a book out about it. He
      > > plotted a course roughly parallel to the JMT except higher in
      many
      > > places as he thought the JMT did not hug the highest of the
      Sierra
      > > (except for the passes of course). It is an offtrail route and
      > > difficult in places and easier in others. I have only hiked
      about
      > > half of it, but it is awesome! It runs from Cedar Grove to Twin
      > > Lakes north of Tuolumne a few miles.
      > > Dee
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
      > > <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
      > > > Which High Sierra loop or route are you talking about? The
      only
      > > High
      > > > sierra route from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite I know is the JMT. --

      > > this
      > cut
      > > > back
      Nice