Oldest JMT Thru-hiker

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2009
      We already noted Camden Watson, the 7 year old hiker who completed the
      JMT this year NoBo with his Dad and older brother, breaking the
      "youngest ever" record (set in 1982).

      I just learned from Al Patrick (age 72) that he and a friend, Dale
      Easton (age 75), completed the trail SoBo this year in 21 days (July
      19 to August 10). The old record, according to Ralph and Susan
      Alcorn's site (backpack45.com) was 71, so they both broke the record
      (set in 2008). Not a bad pace. especially in light of the snowstorm
      that apparently required a delay at Woods Creek.

      Al says that they met Camden as they crossed NoBo and SoBo routes near
      the midpoint of the Trail (I gather roughly along the Bear Creek
      section). That would have been a good picture.

      I know that Roleigh met Al and Dale along the route and I'm sure many
      others did also.

      John Curran Ladd

      === Al's message ============

      I noted in a posting that the oldest JMT thru hiker was 71. Dale
      Easton and I, Alfred Patrick, thru hiked the JMT this summer (2009),
      hiking north to south. Dale is 75 years old and I am 72. Because of
      availability of hiking permits, we had to hike from Tuolumne Meadows
      (beginning July 19) to Yosemite Valley. We got a bus from Yosemite
      Valley back to Tuolumne Meadows and headed south to Mt. Whitney. On
      August 10 we completed the trail by hiking from Guitar Lake to the
      summit of Mt. Whitney, then down to Whitney Portal--a long hard day
      for us. A day north of Muir Trail Ranch we met and talked with the
      youngest JMT thru hiker, Camden Watson, his brother, and his father.

      Dale and I have section hiked al of the AT. Dale lives in Branson,
      MO, and I live in Richmond, KY.

      Al Patrick