Re: [John Muir Trail] Northern start of trail

  • Reinhold
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
      I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr Guides
      show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
      johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "David J." <dhj@i...> wrote:
      > The two sources I have describing the start of the trail are
      > Winnett's John Muir Trail and Starr's Guide. Both refer to the Le
      > Conte Lodge as the start, but Winnett says the lodge was moved
      > some years ago.
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer"
      > <jdrows@c...> wrote:
      > > Happy Isles
      > > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
      > > JD

    • David J.
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
        Starr's Guide, 1951, page 14 says lists the start of the trail as
        "Yosemite Valley (Le Conte Lodge)" and then lists Happy Isles
        as 1.4 miles further along the trail. Winnett indicated that there
        was some confusion because the lodge had been moved early
        in the 20th century.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
        <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
        > I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr
        Guides
        > show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
      • Dana Clemensen (Gottlob - 23)
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 18, 2003
          When I did that portion of the John Muir Trail as a kid, (late 70's)
          my dad made us walk all the way to the Le Conte Lodge across from
          Housekeeping Camp. I have read in various book they now recognize
          Happy Isles as the start now for the John Muir Trail.