Re: Here's a round trip idea...

  • Reinhold
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
      Which High Sierra loop or route are you talking about? The only High
      sierra route from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite I know is the JMT. -- In
      johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less this
      > loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done cut
      back
      > over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice
      little
      > 6 week jaunt. Dee
    • ndeewoods
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
        Steve Roper's high sierra route. He has a book out about it. He
        plotted a course roughly parallel to the JMT except higher in many
        places as he thought the JMT did not hug the highest of the Sierra
        (except for the passes of course). It is an offtrail route and
        difficult in places and easier in others. I have only hiked about
        half of it, but it is awesome! It runs from Cedar Grove to Twin
        Lakes north of Tuolumne a few miles.
        Dee
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
        <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
        > Which High Sierra loop or route are you talking about? The only
        High
        > sierra route from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite I know is the JMT. -- In
        > johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less
        this
        > > loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done cut
        > back
        > > over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice
        > little
        > > 6 week jaunt. Dee
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
          I met someone who soloed Roper's High Route a few years ago (the
          full 200 miles). She said it was incredible and very isolated. She
          said some of the passes were a little difficult with a full pack
          (She is a VERY experienced climber / hiker).

          Here is a very nice online write up:
          http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ca/roper_highsierra.htm

          It sounds like fun!
          Best to all.

          wrote:
          > Steve Roper's high sierra route. He has a book out about it. He
          > plotted a course roughly parallel to the JMT except higher in many
          > places as he thought the JMT did not hug the highest of the Sierra
          > (except for the passes of course). It is an offtrail route and
          > difficult in places and easier in others. I have only hiked about
          > half of it, but it is awesome! It runs from Cedar Grove to Twin
          > Lakes north of Tuolumne a few miles.
          > Dee
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
          > <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
          > > Which High Sierra loop or route are you talking about? The only
          > High
          > > sierra route from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite I know is the JMT. --
          In
          > > johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > > I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less
          > this
          > > > loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done
          cut
          > > back
          > > > over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice
          > > little
          > > > 6 week jaunt. Dee
        • ndeewoods
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 17, 2003
            Well I've done approx 60 miles of it and I would have to say it is
            definitely not for novices or those lacking navigation/map reading
            skills...and in places not for the faint of heart. But it was
            gorgeous. Thinking of doing another piece this summer. Navigation
            makes me go so much slower that when I go to do the whole thing it
            would be nice to have done major portions of it so the navigation
            wouldn't slow me down on such a long trip.
            Dee