RE: [John Muir Trail] Northern start of trail

  • JD Schaefer
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
      Bill
      I'm sure you're smarter than me but I took the "scenic route" SoBo in 3
      places. At Silver Pass Lake, I took the heavily traveled trail towards the
      lake, and shouldn't have. Coming back from VVR, the trail towards Selden is
      at an angle and easy to miss. South of Red's, the trail goes left towards
      Mammoth, go to your right over the creek. Coming down Muir Pass is
      interesting insofar as the trail is concerned but it was my favorite
      descent.
      JD

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
        I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr Guides
        show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
        johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "David J." <dhj@i...> wrote:
        > The two sources I have describing the start of the trail are
        > Winnett's John Muir Trail and Starr's Guide. Both refer to the Le
        > Conte Lodge as the start, but Winnett says the lodge was moved
        > some years ago.
        >

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer"
        > <jdrows@c...> wrote:
        > > Happy Isles
        > > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
        > > JD

      • David J.
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
          Starr's Guide, 1951, page 14 says lists the start of the trail as
          "Yosemite Valley (Le Conte Lodge)" and then lists Happy Isles
          as 1.4 miles further along the trail. Winnett indicated that there
          was some confusion because the lodge had been moved early
          in the 20th century.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
          <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
          > I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr
          Guides
          > show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
        • Dana Clemensen (Gottlob - 23)
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 18, 2003
            When I did that portion of the John Muir Trail as a kid, (late 70's)
            my dad made us walk all the way to the Le Conte Lodge across from
            Housekeeping Camp. I have read in various book they now recognize
            Happy Isles as the start now for the John Muir Trail.