Re: [John Muir Trail] Northern start of trail

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
      Yep, 211 miles (from the BIG sign) to Mt. Whitney and 11 more to
      Whitney portal. The trail officially ends on the top of Mt.
      Whitney ... but 222 miles is the total distance. Add a couple more
      miles if you are stopping at Lake Edison for supplies.

      When I was 14 or so, I went to Yosemite and decided to hike to the
      top of Nevada Falls. When I saw the "Big Sign", I started
      laughing ... right, someone would hike 211 miles to Mt. Whitney ...
      they must be NUTS!

      OK, I am now one of those NUTS, and hoping to do it again in 2003
      Best to all,
      Bill

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
      by
      > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
      of
      > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
      > is...
      > Dee
    • JD Schaefer
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
        Bill
        I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this year.
        JD

        wrote:
        > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
        by
        > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
        of
        > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
        > is...
        > Dee

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
          Oops ... 2004! I tore up my knee and injured my feet last year, so
          I've kind of lost a year. 2004 here I come!

          Best to all!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer" <jdrows@c...>
          wrote:
          > Bill
          > I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this
          year.
          > JD

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • JD Schaefer
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
            Bill
            I'm sure you're smarter than me but I took the "scenic route" SoBo in 3
            places. At Silver Pass Lake, I took the heavily traveled trail towards the
            lake, and shouldn't have. Coming back from VVR, the trail towards Selden is
            at an angle and easy to miss. South of Red's, the trail goes left towards
            Mammoth, go to your right over the creek. Coming down Muir Pass is
            interesting insofar as the trail is concerned but it was my favorite
            descent.
            JD

            wrote:
            > Bill
            > I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this
            year.
            > JD

          • Reinhold
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
              I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr Guides
              show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
              johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "David J." <dhj@i...> wrote:
              > The two sources I have describing the start of the trail are
              > Winnett's John Muir Trail and Starr's Guide. Both refer to the Le
              > Conte Lodge as the start, but Winnett says the lodge was moved
              > some years ago.
              >

              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer"
              > <jdrows@c...> wrote:
              > > Happy Isles
              > > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
              > > JD

            • David J.
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                Starr's Guide, 1951, page 14 says lists the start of the trail as
                "Yosemite Valley (Le Conte Lodge)" and then lists Happy Isles
                as 1.4 miles further along the trail. Winnett indicated that there
                was some confusion because the lodge had been moved early
                in the 20th century.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
                <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
                > I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr
                Guides
                > show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
              • Dana Clemensen (Gottlob - 23)
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 18, 2003
                  When I did that portion of the John Muir Trail as a kid, (late 70's)
                  my dad made us walk all the way to the Le Conte Lodge across from
                  Housekeeping Camp. I have read in various book they now recognize
                  Happy Isles as the start now for the John Muir Trail.