Re: [John Muir Trail] Northern start of trail

  • ndeewoods
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
      And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand by
      that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top of
      Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
      is...
      Dee
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer" <jdrows@c...>
      wrote:
      > That may be, but if you look at Winnett's mileage guide, where
      does it start
      > from? Happy Isles and that's the nuts and bolts aka bottom line.
      True that
      > there is a little confusion in places like when reaching Tioga
      Road and it's
      > safer to stay on the unofficial trail on the south of the road,
      but as I
      > understand it, the northern side is more official.
      >
      > When I did it this summer, there were CCC crews that were
      diverting the
      > course of the trail in sections such as putting in a bridge to
      avoid the
      > "official" stream-crossing 150 meters downstream.
      >
      > It's like the US Supreme Court. They are supposed to uphold the
      > Constitution, but time doesn't stand still and they can't make
      decisions
      > based on societal mores in the late 18th century.
      >
      > Adapt and enjoy.
      > JD
      > JMT Aug 25-Sep 11 2003

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
        Yep, 211 miles (from the BIG sign) to Mt. Whitney and 11 more to
        Whitney portal. The trail officially ends on the top of Mt.
        Whitney ... but 222 miles is the total distance. Add a couple more
        miles if you are stopping at Lake Edison for supplies.

        When I was 14 or so, I went to Yosemite and decided to hike to the
        top of Nevada Falls. When I saw the "Big Sign", I started
        laughing ... right, someone would hike 211 miles to Mt. Whitney ...
        they must be NUTS!

        OK, I am now one of those NUTS, and hoping to do it again in 2003
        Best to all,
        Bill

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
        by
        > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
        of
        > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
        > is...
        > Dee
      • JD Schaefer
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
          Bill
          I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this year.
          JD

          wrote:
          > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
          by
          > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
          of
          > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
          > is...
          > Dee

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
            Oops ... 2004! I tore up my knee and injured my feet last year, so
            I've kind of lost a year. 2004 here I come!

            Best to all!

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
              Bill
              I'm sure you're smarter than me but I took the "scenic route" SoBo in 3
              places. At Silver Pass Lake, I took the heavily traveled trail towards the
              lake, and shouldn't have. Coming back from VVR, the trail towards Selden is
              at an angle and easy to miss. South of Red's, the trail goes left towards
              Mammoth, go to your right over the creek. Coming down Muir Pass is
              interesting insofar as the trail is concerned but it was my favorite
              descent.
              JD

              wrote:
              > Bill
              > I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this
              year.
              > JD

            • Reinhold
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr Guides
                show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
                johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "David J." <dhj@i...> wrote:
                > The two sources I have describing the start of the trail are
                > Winnett's John Muir Trail and Starr's Guide. Both refer to the Le
                > Conte Lodge as the start, but Winnett says the lodge was moved
                > some years ago.
                >

                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer"
                > <jdrows@c...> wrote:
                > > Happy Isles
                > > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
                > > JD

              • David J.
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                  Starr's Guide, 1951, page 14 says lists the start of the trail as
                  "Yosemite Valley (Le Conte Lodge)" and then lists Happy Isles
                  as 1.4 miles further along the trail. Winnett indicated that there
                  was some confusion because the lodge had been moved early
                  in the 20th century.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
                  <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
                  > I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr
                  Guides
                  > show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
                • Dana Clemensen (Gottlob - 23)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 18, 2003
                    When I did that portion of the John Muir Trail as a kid, (late 70's)
                    my dad made us walk all the way to the Le Conte Lodge across from
                    Housekeeping Camp. I have read in various book they now recognize
                    Happy Isles as the start now for the John Muir Trail.