RE: [John Muir Trail] Northern start of trail

  • JD Schaefer
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 25, 2003
      That may be, but if you look at Winnett's mileage guide, where does it start
      from? Happy Isles and that's the nuts and bolts aka bottom line. True that
      there is a little confusion in places like when reaching Tioga Road and it's
      safer to stay on the unofficial trail on the south of the road, but as I
      understand it, the northern side is more official.

      When I did it this summer, there were CCC crews that were diverting the
      course of the trail in sections such as putting in a bridge to avoid the
      "official" stream-crossing 150 meters downstream.

      It's like the US Supreme Court. They are supposed to uphold the
      Constitution, but time doesn't stand still and they can't make decisions
      based on societal mores in the late 18th century.

      Adapt and enjoy.
      JD
      JMT Aug 25-Sep 11 2003

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
        And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand by
        that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top of
        Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
        is...
        Dee
        wrote:
        > That may be, but if you look at Winnett's mileage guide, where
        does it start
        > from? Happy Isles and that's the nuts and bolts aka bottom line.
        True that
        > there is a little confusion in places like when reaching Tioga
        Road and it's
        > safer to stay on the unofficial trail on the south of the road,
        but as I
        > understand it, the northern side is more official.
        >
        > When I did it this summer, there were CCC crews that were
        diverting the
        > course of the trail in sections such as putting in a bridge to
        avoid the
        > "official" stream-crossing 150 meters downstream.
        >
        > It's like the US Supreme Court. They are supposed to uphold the
        > Constitution, but time doesn't stand still and they can't make
        decisions
        > based on societal mores in the late 18th century.
        >
        > Adapt and enjoy.
        > JD
        > JMT Aug 25-Sep 11 2003

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
          Yep, 211 miles (from the BIG sign) to Mt. Whitney and 11 more to
          Whitney portal. The trail officially ends on the top of Mt.
          Whitney ... but 222 miles is the total distance. Add a couple more
          miles if you are stopping at Lake Edison for supplies.

          When I was 14 or so, I went to Yosemite and decided to hike to the
          top of Nevada Falls. When I saw the "Big Sign", I started
          laughing ... right, someone would hike 211 miles to Mt. Whitney ...
          they must be NUTS!

          OK, I am now one of those NUTS, and hoping to do it again in 2003
          Best to all,
          Bill

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
          by
          > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
          of
          > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
          > is...
          > Dee
        • JD Schaefer
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
            Bill
            I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this year.
            JD

            wrote:
            > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
            by
            > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
            of
            > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
            > is...
            > Dee

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
              Oops ... 2004! I tore up my knee and injured my feet last year, so
              I've kind of lost a year. 2004 here I come!

              Best to all!

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
                Bill
                I'm sure you're smarter than me but I took the "scenic route" SoBo in 3
                places. At Silver Pass Lake, I took the heavily traveled trail towards the
                lake, and shouldn't have. Coming back from VVR, the trail towards Selden is
                at an angle and easy to miss. South of Red's, the trail goes left towards
                Mammoth, go to your right over the creek. Coming down Muir Pass is
                interesting insofar as the trail is concerned but it was my favorite
                descent.
                JD

                wrote:
                > Bill
                > I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this
                year.
                > JD

              • Reinhold
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                  I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr Guides
                  show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
                  johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "David J." <dhj@i...> wrote:
                  > The two sources I have describing the start of the trail are
                  > Winnett's John Muir Trail and Starr's Guide. Both refer to the Le
                  > Conte Lodge as the start, but Winnett says the lodge was moved
                  > some years ago.
                  >

                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer"
                  > <jdrows@c...> wrote:
                  > > Happy Isles
                  > > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
                  > > JD

                • David J.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                    Starr's Guide, 1951, page 14 says lists the start of the trail as
                    "Yosemite Valley (Le Conte Lodge)" and then lists Happy Isles
                    as 1.4 miles further along the trail. Winnett indicated that there
                    was some confusion because the lodge had been moved early
                    in the 20th century.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
                    <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
                    > I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr
                    Guides
                    > show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
                  • Dana Clemensen (Gottlob - 23)
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 18, 2003
                      When I did that portion of the John Muir Trail as a kid, (late 70's)
                      my dad made us walk all the way to the Le Conte Lodge across from
                      Housekeeping Camp. I have read in various book they now recognize
                      Happy Isles as the start now for the John Muir Trail.