Re: [John Muir Trail] Northern start of trail

  • David J.
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 25, 2003
      The two sources I have describing the start of the trail are
      Winnett's John Muir Trail and Starr's Guide. Both refer to the Le
      Conte Lodge as the start, but Winnett says the lodge was moved
      some years ago.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer"
      <jdrows@c...> wrote:
      > Happy Isles
      > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
      > JD

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • JD Schaefer
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 25, 2003
        That may be, but if you look at Winnett's mileage guide, where does it start
        from? Happy Isles and that's the nuts and bolts aka bottom line. True that
        there is a little confusion in places like when reaching Tioga Road and it's
        safer to stay on the unofficial trail on the south of the road, but as I
        understand it, the northern side is more official.

        When I did it this summer, there were CCC crews that were diverting the
        course of the trail in sections such as putting in a bridge to avoid the
        "official" stream-crossing 150 meters downstream.

        It's like the US Supreme Court. They are supposed to uphold the
        Constitution, but time doesn't stand still and they can't make decisions
        based on societal mores in the late 18th century.

        Adapt and enjoy.
        JD
        JMT Aug 25-Sep 11 2003

        <jdrows@c...> wrote:
        > Happy Isles
        > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
        > JD

      • ndeewoods
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
          And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand by
          that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top of
          Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
          is...
          Dee
          wrote:
          > That may be, but if you look at Winnett's mileage guide, where
          does it start
          > from? Happy Isles and that's the nuts and bolts aka bottom line.
          True that
          > there is a little confusion in places like when reaching Tioga
          Road and it's
          > safer to stay on the unofficial trail on the south of the road,
          but as I
          > understand it, the northern side is more official.
          >
          > When I did it this summer, there were CCC crews that were
          diverting the
          > course of the trail in sections such as putting in a bridge to
          avoid the
          > "official" stream-crossing 150 meters downstream.
          >
          > It's like the US Supreme Court. They are supposed to uphold the
          > Constitution, but time doesn't stand still and they can't make
          decisions
          > based on societal mores in the late 18th century.
          >
          > Adapt and enjoy.
          > JD
          > JMT Aug 25-Sep 11 2003

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
            Yep, 211 miles (from the BIG sign) to Mt. Whitney and 11 more to
            Whitney portal. The trail officially ends on the top of Mt.
            Whitney ... but 222 miles is the total distance. Add a couple more
            miles if you are stopping at Lake Edison for supplies.

            When I was 14 or so, I went to Yosemite and decided to hike to the
            top of Nevada Falls. When I saw the "Big Sign", I started
            laughing ... right, someone would hike 211 miles to Mt. Whitney ...
            they must be NUTS!

            OK, I am now one of those NUTS, and hoping to do it again in 2003
            Best to all,
            Bill

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
            by
            > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
            of
            > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
            > is...
            > Dee
          • JD Schaefer
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
              Bill
              I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this year.
              JD

              wrote:
              > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
              by
              > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
              of
              > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
              > is...
              > Dee

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
                Oops ... 2004! I tore up my knee and injured my feet last year, so
                I've kind of lost a year. 2004 here I come!

                Best to all!

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
                  Bill
                  I'm sure you're smarter than me but I took the "scenic route" SoBo in 3
                  places. At Silver Pass Lake, I took the heavily traveled trail towards the
                  lake, and shouldn't have. Coming back from VVR, the trail towards Selden is
                  at an angle and easy to miss. South of Red's, the trail goes left towards
                  Mammoth, go to your right over the creek. Coming down Muir Pass is
                  interesting insofar as the trail is concerned but it was my favorite
                  descent.
                  JD

                  wrote:
                  > Bill
                  > I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this
                  year.
                  > JD

                • Reinhold
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                    I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr Guides
                    show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                      Starr's Guide, 1951, page 14 says lists the start of the trail as
                      "Yosemite Valley (Le Conte Lodge)" and then lists Happy Isles
                      as 1.4 miles further along the trail. Winnett indicated that there
                      was some confusion because the lodge had been moved early
                      in the 20th century.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
                      <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
                      > I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr
                      Guides
                      > show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
                    • Dana Clemensen (Gottlob - 23)
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 18, 2003
                        When I did that portion of the John Muir Trail as a kid, (late 70's)
                        my dad made us walk all the way to the Le Conte Lodge across from
                        Housekeeping Camp. I have read in various book they now recognize
                        Happy Isles as the start now for the John Muir Trail.