RE: [John Muir Trail] Northern start of trail

  • JD Schaefer
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 24, 2003
      Happy Isles
      What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
      JD

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 25, 2003
        The two sources I have describing the start of the trail are
        Winnett's John Muir Trail and Starr's Guide. Both refer to the Le
        Conte Lodge as the start, but Winnett says the lodge was moved
        some years ago.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer"
        <jdrows@c...> wrote:
        > Happy Isles
        > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
        > JD

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • JD Schaefer
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 25, 2003
          That may be, but if you look at Winnett's mileage guide, where does it start
          from? Happy Isles and that's the nuts and bolts aka bottom line. True that
          there is a little confusion in places like when reaching Tioga Road and it's
          safer to stay on the unofficial trail on the south of the road, but as I
          understand it, the northern side is more official.

          When I did it this summer, there were CCC crews that were diverting the
          course of the trail in sections such as putting in a bridge to avoid the
          "official" stream-crossing 150 meters downstream.

          It's like the US Supreme Court. They are supposed to uphold the
          Constitution, but time doesn't stand still and they can't make decisions
          based on societal mores in the late 18th century.

          Adapt and enjoy.
          JD
          JMT Aug 25-Sep 11 2003

          <jdrows@c...> wrote:
          > Happy Isles
          > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
          > JD

        • ndeewoods
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
            And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand by
            that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top of
            Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
            is...
            Dee
            wrote:
            > That may be, but if you look at Winnett's mileage guide, where
            does it start
            > from? Happy Isles and that's the nuts and bolts aka bottom line.
            True that
            > there is a little confusion in places like when reaching Tioga
            Road and it's
            > safer to stay on the unofficial trail on the south of the road,
            but as I
            > understand it, the northern side is more official.
            >
            > When I did it this summer, there were CCC crews that were
            diverting the
            > course of the trail in sections such as putting in a bridge to
            avoid the
            > "official" stream-crossing 150 meters downstream.
            >
            > It's like the US Supreme Court. They are supposed to uphold the
            > Constitution, but time doesn't stand still and they can't make
            decisions
            > based on societal mores in the late 18th century.
            >
            > Adapt and enjoy.
            > JD
            > JMT Aug 25-Sep 11 2003

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
              Yep, 211 miles (from the BIG sign) to Mt. Whitney and 11 more to
              Whitney portal. The trail officially ends on the top of Mt.
              Whitney ... but 222 miles is the total distance. Add a couple more
              miles if you are stopping at Lake Edison for supplies.

              When I was 14 or so, I went to Yosemite and decided to hike to the
              top of Nevada Falls. When I saw the "Big Sign", I started
              laughing ... right, someone would hike 211 miles to Mt. Whitney ...
              they must be NUTS!

              OK, I am now one of those NUTS, and hoping to do it again in 2003
              Best to all,
              Bill

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...>
              wrote:
              > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
              by
              > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
              of
              > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
              > is...
              > Dee
            • JD Schaefer
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
                Bill
                I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this year.
                JD

                wrote:
                > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
                by
                > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
                of
                > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
                > is...
                > Dee

              • Bill
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
                  Oops ... 2004! I tore up my knee and injured my feet last year, so
                  I've kind of lost a year. 2004 here I come!

                  Best to all!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
                    Bill
                    I'm sure you're smarter than me but I took the "scenic route" SoBo in 3
                    places. At Silver Pass Lake, I took the heavily traveled trail towards the
                    lake, and shouldn't have. Coming back from VVR, the trail towards Selden is
                    at an angle and easy to miss. South of Red's, the trail goes left towards
                    Mammoth, go to your right over the creek. Coming down Muir Pass is
                    interesting insofar as the trail is concerned but it was my favorite
                    descent.
                    JD

                    wrote:
                    > Bill
                    > I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this
                    year.
                    > JD

                  • Reinhold
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                      I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr Guides
                      show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
                      johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "David J." <dhj@i...> wrote:
                      > The two sources I have describing the start of the trail are
                      > Winnett's John Muir Trail and Starr's Guide. Both refer to the Le
                      > Conte Lodge as the start, but Winnett says the lodge was moved
                      > some years ago.
                      >

                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer"
                      > <jdrows@c...> wrote:
                      > > Happy Isles
                      > > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
                      > > JD

                    • David J.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                        Starr's Guide, 1951, page 14 says lists the start of the trail as
                        "Yosemite Valley (Le Conte Lodge)" and then lists Happy Isles
                        as 1.4 miles further along the trail. Winnett indicated that there
                        was some confusion because the lodge had been moved early
                        in the 20th century.

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
                        <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
                        > I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr
                        Guides
                        > show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
                      • Dana Clemensen (Gottlob - 23)
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 18, 2003
                          When I did that portion of the John Muir Trail as a kid, (late 70's)
                          my dad made us walk all the way to the Le Conte Lodge across from
                          Housekeeping Camp. I have read in various book they now recognize
                          Happy Isles as the start now for the John Muir Trail.