Re: [John Muir Trail] Training

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
      John, I'm jealous of you being able to have such an urban walking environment that lets you mimic mountain hiking.  We (in the Twin Cities, MN) have a state park (Afton State Park) 35 miles away that has 20 miles of hiking with lots of hills (although maybe not as steep as San Francisco), and on good weekends, I'll hike there and sleep overnight in one of the backpacking camps there.  On 3 day weekends, I go up to the Superior Hiking trail and do a 2.5 day hike on the SHT.  But I can't approximate anything daily like you can.  Lucky you.

      On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:08 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      Eddie --

      I like your plan.

      My opinion is that training effects are very specific - they best way to train for walking hills with a pack is to walk hills with a pack.  Cross-training (running, biking, etc.) is great as an addition to practicing what you actually plan to do, but unless you have a ton of time to work out, I'd concentrate on practicing what you will actually do.  I did a fair amount of competitive sports in my younger days and some coaching and I'm a strong believer in exercise specificity.
    • skdupre
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2009
        Of course, we are all on different schedules, are hiking different hikes, and probably look different too. I will average 10 miles per day w/ one zero day and will be doing a lot of photography. I am 45 (5'8", 165 lbs) and joined a gym for the first time in my life last year. I work out 5 days a week (steady 30-40 minute alternating cardio w/ weights).

        Ok, you asked so here it is ( July 10' JMT). Treadmill: Level 9 progressing to level 12 by the end of June. Progressing pack weight from 10 - 35 pounds (late June). Shifting speed from 2 - 3 mph to build muscle. Building up to 60 - 90 minutes. Alternate treadmill w/ weights focusing on lower body and adding some upper body. Lower body w/ leg presses, squats, and lunges along w/ flutter kicks, side kicks, and bicycle kicks. Backpack 5-10 miles on the weekends. Final shake out in June; 6 day 60 mile trip (Arkansas) w/ no resupply. That will tell me if I'm ready or not, but hey, I've already booked my flights, lodging, and bus tickets....

        There's a good article in the Oct. issue of Backpacker "Build a Thru-Hiker Body" (p. 55) that I got some good ideas from.

        Bottom line; I always like to try and put myself through (as close as I can in East Texas) the toughest condition of what I will face on the trail. Sure, it's hard to duplicate the Grand Canyon where I'm from and certainly impossible to match the altitude of the High Sierras so you just have to push yourself to level where you know you'll be prepared.

        Hope to see you on the trail!

        skd