Re: [John Muir Trail] Stove Fire Starter

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
      Peter:

      > Bic works fine when totally soaked. Why do you need to protect your
      > matches from water when they burn underwater? Seems like they aren't
      > that fool proof after all.

      John: I don't need to protect the matches - they seem fully waterproof. But, as I said in my post, the scratcher pads do need protection.  The pads can wear out with use, particularly if you try to strike them while they are wet.  So I take extras of the scratch pads and protect them from water (the scratch pads, not the matches).

      I don't mean to be critical of Bics.  I just am trying to make the point that stormproof matches work well.  The main advantage matches have over Bics, for me, is that I find them easier to light when my hands are cold and the stormproof ones don't blow out in even a quite strong, wet wind.  The first factor is probably personal to me, but the second might have appeal to other people who may have had problems with Bics in the wind.

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707