Re: [John Muir Trail] Stove Fire Starter

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
      745165.jpg

      I just bring REI stormproof matches with extra starter strips carefully protected from water (at least 2 etrasa, preferably more).  The matches always work (light one and just try to put it out - they burn underwater), but starter strips are useless when they get too worn or wet.  Don't carry a lighter.  I try to avoid anything mechanical when non-mechanical works just fine -- on the theory that non-mechanical designs are inherently more reliable.

      I have a piezo on my stove and and am careful to protect it from breakage.

      But I may be a minority of one in not carrying a BIC.

      I once tried carrying Esbit tabs for firestarters (as well as serving as a backup cookstove) but they don't burn hot enough to start wet wood.  Abandoned the Esbits as I got to trust my JetBoil to never fail (hubris?).

      I do carry a few of the following product

      631077Lrg.jpg

      to help start a fire with wet wood in an emergency.  Haven't used them often, but they work OK when I have.  They are wax with fibers inside.  You pull them apart (like stretching toffee) to expose the fibers, which are easy to ignite and they ignite the wax, which burns hot and long enough to get tinder or small twigs going, and work from there.  They are stable for years and, again, non-mechanical.

      Both are available at REI

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
      415-648-9279

    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
        Bic works fine when totally soaked. Why do you need to protect your
        matches from water when they burn underwater? Seems like they aren't
        that fool proof after all.

        I also bring a camera with a lens I can use to concentrate sun rays and
        start a fire, or I can use the battery and a thin piece of wire after
        smashing it up to create a burst of heat of the melting wire to start a
        fire. And I should stop watching Survivor Man :-)

        Peter

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
          Peter:

          > Bic works fine when totally soaked. Why do you need to protect your
          > matches from water when they burn underwater? Seems like they aren't
          > that fool proof after all.

          John: I don't need to protect the matches - they seem fully waterproof. But, as I said in my post, the scratcher pads do need protection.  The pads can wear out with use, particularly if you try to strike them while they are wet.  So I take extras of the scratch pads and protect them from water (the scratch pads, not the matches).

          I don't mean to be critical of Bics.  I just am trying to make the point that stormproof matches work well.  The main advantage matches have over Bics, for me, is that I find them easier to light when my hands are cold and the stormproof ones don't blow out in even a quite strong, wet wind.  The first factor is probably personal to me, but the second might have appeal to other people who may have had problems with Bics in the wind.

          San Francisco, CA  94114-3707