Northern start of trail

  • David J.
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 24, 2003
      I was wondering if anyone knew the exact, official beginning
      point of the John Muir Trail in Yosemite. I've read several
      different descriptions and wondered if anyone knew.
      -David
    • JD Schaefer
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 24, 2003
        Happy Isles
        What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
        JD

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 25, 2003
          The two sources I have describing the start of the trail are
          Winnett's John Muir Trail and Starr's Guide. Both refer to the Le
          Conte Lodge as the start, but Winnett says the lodge was moved
          some years ago.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "JD Schaefer"
          <jdrows@c...> wrote:
          > Happy Isles
          > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
          > JD

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • JD Schaefer
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 25, 2003
            That may be, but if you look at Winnett's mileage guide, where does it start
            from? Happy Isles and that's the nuts and bolts aka bottom line. True that
            there is a little confusion in places like when reaching Tioga Road and it's
            safer to stay on the unofficial trail on the south of the road, but as I
            understand it, the northern side is more official.

            When I did it this summer, there were CCC crews that were diverting the
            course of the trail in sections such as putting in a bridge to avoid the
            "official" stream-crossing 150 meters downstream.

            It's like the US Supreme Court. They are supposed to uphold the
            Constitution, but time doesn't stand still and they can't make decisions
            based on societal mores in the late 18th century.

            Adapt and enjoy.
            JD
            JMT Aug 25-Sep 11 2003

            <jdrows@c...> wrote:
            > Happy Isles
            > What are your sources of other Northern Termini?
            > JD

          • ndeewoods
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
              And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand by
              that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top of
              Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
              is...
              Dee
              wrote:
              > That may be, but if you look at Winnett's mileage guide, where
              does it start
              > from? Happy Isles and that's the nuts and bolts aka bottom line.
              True that
              > there is a little confusion in places like when reaching Tioga
              Road and it's
              > safer to stay on the unofficial trail on the south of the road,
              but as I
              > understand it, the northern side is more official.
              >
              > When I did it this summer, there were CCC crews that were
              diverting the
              > course of the trail in sections such as putting in a bridge to
              avoid the
              > "official" stream-crossing 150 meters downstream.
              >
              > It's like the US Supreme Court. They are supposed to uphold the
              > Constitution, but time doesn't stand still and they can't make
              decisions
              > based on societal mores in the late 18th century.
              >
              > Adapt and enjoy.
              > JD
              > JMT Aug 25-Sep 11 2003

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
                Yep, 211 miles (from the BIG sign) to Mt. Whitney and 11 more to
                Whitney portal. The trail officially ends on the top of Mt.
                Whitney ... but 222 miles is the total distance. Add a couple more
                miles if you are stopping at Lake Edison for supplies.

                When I was 14 or so, I went to Yosemite and decided to hike to the
                top of Nevada Falls. When I saw the "Big Sign", I started
                laughing ... right, someone would hike 211 miles to Mt. Whitney ...
                they must be NUTS!

                OK, I am now one of those NUTS, and hoping to do it again in 2003
                Best to all,
                Bill

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...>
                wrote:
                > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
                by
                > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
                of
                > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
                > is...
                > Dee
              • JD Schaefer
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
                  Bill
                  I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this year.
                  JD

                  wrote:
                  > And of course at Happy Isles is that famous sign all JMTers stand
                  by
                  > that says the JMT mileage is 211 miles....but that is to the top
                  of
                  > Mt Whitney...so the JMT is really 222 miles???? Hiking miles that
                  > is...
                  > Dee

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
                    Oops ... 2004! I tore up my knee and injured my feet last year, so
                    I've kind of lost a year. 2004 here I come!

                    Best to all!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
                      Bill
                      I'm sure you're smarter than me but I took the "scenic route" SoBo in 3
                      places. At Silver Pass Lake, I took the heavily traveled trail towards the
                      lake, and shouldn't have. Coming back from VVR, the trail towards Selden is
                      at an angle and easy to miss. South of Red's, the trail goes left towards
                      Mammoth, go to your right over the creek. Coming down Muir Pass is
                      interesting insofar as the trail is concerned but it was my favorite
                      descent.
                      JD

                      wrote:
                      > Bill
                      > I hope you're going to start now if you're expecting to do it this
                      year.
                      > JD

                    • Reinhold
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                        I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr Guides
                        show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                          Starr's Guide, 1951, page 14 says lists the start of the trail as
                          "Yosemite Valley (Le Conte Lodge)" and then lists Happy Isles
                          as 1.4 miles further along the trail. Winnett indicated that there
                          was some confusion because the lodge had been moved early
                          in the 20th century.

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
                          <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
                          > I don't know which Editions you have, but my Winett & Starr
                          Guides
                          > show Happy Isles as the northern terminus of the JMT.--- In
                        • Dana Clemensen (Gottlob - 23)
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 18, 2003
                            When I did that portion of the John Muir Trail as a kid, (late 70's)
                            my dad made us walk all the way to the Le Conte Lodge across from
                            Housekeeping Camp. I have read in various book they now recognize
                            Happy Isles as the start now for the John Muir Trail.