Re: [John Muir Trail] Winter JMT

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
      Patt, yep I've read that book - amazing. I thought it migjt be a one off attempt  Thanks.

      Sent from my iPhone.

      On Oct 1, 2009, at 10:51 AM, Patt <sntrekker@...> wrote:

      Barbara,
        Try a look at "High Odyssey", author Gene Rose. 1929 trip by Orland Bartholomew from Whitney North...included some really interesting photos too..

      Patt

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
        Thanks peter.  I'll pass that on. And thanks Ed. I figured the same thing for resupplies.

        Sent from my iPhone.

        On Oct 1, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

        it has been done on ski before -

        http://www.jamesalu tz.com/index_ JMT1.htm

        and related with good photos showing conditions. won't need bear
        canisters in winter :)

        http://www.wholey. net/HST/HST. html

        I recall seeing a photo gallery of some guys doing this in the 1970s but
        can't find it now.

        Barbara Karagosian wrote:

        > Someone emailed me recently asking for ideas for resupplies for a
        > winter JMT hike, given that Reds etc are closed. I referred him to
        > this group and the Whitney Portal site. But is it even possible to do
        > in the winter unless you're Ed Veisters or a XC ski pro? Anyone know
        > of anyone who's done this? Barbara

      • John
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
          Ohhhh, my passion! One can leave a cash at the TM depot provided by the USNPS for winter users. Next stop, Mammoth Lakes (via Mammoth Pass), Bishop (via Bishop Pass), Independence (via Kearsarge Pass).

          I skied the entire JMT in 1982 and ski sections of it yearly both recreationally and as I preform my winter "day job" as a snow surveyor. Very few people have done the entire JMT in winter, however, many ski the route (or parallel route) in spring (april/May).

          John
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:

          > Say Barbara, as far for resupply his only option are the small town P.O. Mammoth Lakes, Bishop and Independence

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
            Ooh thanks for the info. I will pass it on.

            Sent from my iPhone.