Re: [John Muir Trail] Winter JMT

  • Patt
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
      Barbara,
        Try a look at "High Odyssey", author Gene Rose. 1929 trip by Orland Bartholomew from Whitney North...included some really interesting photos too..

      Patt

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
        Say Barbara, as far for resupply his only option are the small town P.O. Mammoth Lakes, Bishop and Independence

        From: Barbara Karagosian
        Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 10:14:03 -0700
        To: forum JMT<johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

        Someone emailed me recently asking for ideas for resupplies for a
        winter JMT hike, given that Reds etc are closed. I referred him to
        this group and the Whitney Portal site. But is it even possible to do
        in the winter unless you're Ed Veisters or a XC ski pro? Anyone know
        of anyone who's done this? Barbara

        Sent from my iPhone.

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
          Patt, yep I've read that book - amazing. I thought it migjt be a one off attempt  Thanks.

          Sent from my iPhone.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
            Thanks peter.  I'll pass that on. And thanks Ed. I figured the same thing for resupplies.

            Sent from my iPhone.

            On Oct 1, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

            it has been done on ski before -

            http://www.jamesalu tz.com/index_ JMT1.htm

            and related with good photos showing conditions. won't need bear
            canisters in winter :)

            http://www.wholey. net/HST/HST. html

            I recall seeing a photo gallery of some guys doing this in the 1970s but
            can't find it now.

            Barbara Karagosian wrote:

            > Someone emailed me recently asking for ideas for resupplies for a
            > winter JMT hike, given that Reds etc are closed. I referred him to
            > this group and the Whitney Portal site. But is it even possible to do
            > in the winter unless you're Ed Veisters or a XC ski pro? Anyone know
            > of anyone who's done this? Barbara

          • John
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
              Ohhhh, my passion! One can leave a cash at the TM depot provided by the USNPS for winter users. Next stop, Mammoth Lakes (via Mammoth Pass), Bishop (via Bishop Pass), Independence (via Kearsarge Pass).

              I skied the entire JMT in 1982 and ski sections of it yearly both recreationally and as I preform my winter "day job" as a snow surveyor. Very few people have done the entire JMT in winter, however, many ski the route (or parallel route) in spring (april/May).

              John
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:

              > Say Barbara, as far for resupply his only option are the small town P.O. Mammoth Lakes, Bishop and Independence

            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
                Ooh thanks for the info. I will pass it on.

                Sent from my iPhone.