Winter JMT

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
      Someone emailed me recently asking for ideas for resupplies for a
      winter JMT hike, given that Reds etc are closed. I referred him to
      this group and the Whitney Portal site. But is it even possible to do
      in the winter unless you're Ed Veisters or a XC ski pro? Anyone know
      of anyone who's done this? Barbara

      Sent from my iPhone.
    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
        it has been done on ski before -

        http://www.jamesalutz.com/index_JMT1.htm

        and related with good photos showing conditions. won't need bear
        canisters in winter :)

        http://www.wholey.net/HST/HST.html

        I recall seeing a photo gallery of some guys doing this in the 1970s but
        can't find it now.

        Barbara Karagosian wrote:

        > Someone emailed me recently asking for ideas for resupplies for a
        > winter JMT hike, given that Reds etc are closed. I referred him to
        > this group and the Whitney Portal site. But is it even possible to do
        > in the winter unless you're Ed Veisters or a XC ski pro? Anyone know
        > of anyone who's done this? Barbara

      • Patt
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
          Barbara,
            Try a look at "High Odyssey", author Gene Rose. 1929 trip by Orland Bartholomew from Whitney North...included some really interesting photos too..

          Patt

          Someone emailed me recently asking for ideas for resupplies for a
          winter JMT hike, given that Reds etc are closed. I referred him to
          this group and the Whitney Portal site. But is it even possible to do
          in the winter unless you're Ed Veisters or a XC ski pro?  Anyone know
          of anyone who's done this?  Barbara

          Sent from my iPhone.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:johnmuirtrail-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
            Say Barbara, as far for resupply his only option are the small town P.O. Mammoth Lakes, Bishop and Independence

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
              Patt, yep I've read that book - amazing. I thought it migjt be a one off attempt  Thanks.

              Sent from my iPhone.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
                Thanks peter.  I'll pass that on. And thanks Ed. I figured the same thing for resupplies.

                Sent from my iPhone.

                Barbara Karagosian wrote:

                > Someone emailed me recently asking for ideas for resupplies for a
                > winter JMT hike, given that Reds etc are closed. I referred him to
                > this group and the Whitney Portal site. But is it even possible to do
                > in the winter unless you're Ed Veisters or a XC ski pro? Anyone know
                > of anyone who's done this? Barbara

              • John
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
                  Ohhhh, my passion! One can leave a cash at the TM depot provided by the USNPS for winter users. Next stop, Mammoth Lakes (via Mammoth Pass), Bishop (via Bishop Pass), Independence (via Kearsarge Pass).

                  I skied the entire JMT in 1982 and ski sections of it yearly both recreationally and as I preform my winter "day job" as a snow surveyor. Very few people have done the entire JMT in winter, however, many ski the route (or parallel route) in spring (april/May).

                  John
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:

                  > Say Barbara, as far for resupply his only option are the small town P.O. Mammoth Lakes, Bishop and Independence

                • Barbara Karagosian
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
                    Ooh thanks for the info. I will pass it on.

                    Sent from my iPhone.