Re: 2010 JMT Planning

  • John
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
      If you choose to do the first leg in a day (after all the previous chat), think about getting a site at the TM campground. The outside G loop is a stones throw from the "new" trail. Camp there the first night, leave your full pack in the bear locker.

      If you are fortunate enough to have friends or family along, have them drop you off at HI. In the afternoon you walk right into TM camp and friends are there with beer and pasta. It works wonderfully and you won't have to break up your trip!

      John
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
        Yeah!  I stayed at site G11 in TM a couple of weeks go and it was 6 steps from the trail. As u come down from Cathedral, follow the signs to Elizabeth Lake ( or the horse manure since the horse camp is the same way. ). Do not head for Cathedral trailhead, visitor center or "campground"  if you're trying to get to G loop. Once youre at G loop and have stashed your stuff, head directly downhill on little pathways, NOT east thrubthe mIn campground and you'll quickly come to the road. A he's hundred feet east is the ice cream and burgers.

        Sent from my iPhone.

        On Oct 1, 2009, at 10:13 AM, "John" <shop@...> wrote:

        If you choose to do the first leg in a day (after all the previous chat), think about getting a site at the TM campground. The outside G loop is a stones throw from the "new" trail. Camp there the first night, leave your full pack in the bear locker.

        If you are fortunate enough to have friends or family along, have them drop you off at HI. In the afternoon you walk right into TM camp and friends are there with beer and pasta. It works wonderfully and you won't have to break up your trip!

        John

      • skdupre
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 9, 2009
          If you are thinking along those lines I say go for it. However, it is totally against my personal backpacking philosophy; "It's not a race, it's an experience." Something tells me you would miss part of the JMT experience... Stop and smell the roses comes to mind.

          Good luck and try to have some fun along the way.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

          > A couple of questions for the group (and I apologize if this has been covered in the past):
          >
          > 1) Is doing the first 26-odd mile stretch from HT to TM as a mega-day hike with a minimal daypack advisable? Seems like you could store your full pack at TM and swap out on arrival and move on the following morning. I know there's at least 5K of elevation gain over the mileage, but having done Whitney as a day hike (6K gain over 22 miles and at much higher altitudes) it seems like this might be an interesting strategy. Sure, recovery would be an issue, but it seems like the 10 mile Lyel Cyn stretch the following day is a nice stroll.
          >
          > 2) Do most people resupply at MTR and Vermillion, or just one?

        • Barbara
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 9, 2009
            Thank you . . . I'm so with you on this approach. My section hike this summer from Happy Isles to Red's was awesome, and humbled me with some lessons. I'm looking forward to section hiking another part of the JMT next summer and to enjoying the experience of the JMT rather than the doing of the JMT, allbeit exquisite, nonetheless. Experiencing the wilderness is the reason I hike/backpack, and it's my version of fun.

            I wish all of you folks on the trail full enjoyment of your experience, however you choose to do it . . . It's All Good!
            Karpani