Re: Here's a round trip idea...

  • ndeewoods
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
      Oops, meant High Sierra Route not loop...as in Steve Roper's. Dee
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less this
      > loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done cut
      back
      > over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice
      little
      > 6 week jaunt. Dee
    • Reinhold
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
        Which High Sierra loop or route are you talking about? The only High
        sierra route from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite I know is the JMT. -- In
        johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less this
        > loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done cut
        back
        > over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice
        little
        > 6 week jaunt. Dee
      • ndeewoods
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
          Steve Roper's high sierra route. He has a book out about it. He
          plotted a course roughly parallel to the JMT except higher in many
          places as he thought the JMT did not hug the highest of the Sierra
          (except for the passes of course). It is an offtrail route and
          difficult in places and easier in others. I have only hiked about
          half of it, but it is awesome! It runs from Cedar Grove to Twin
          Lakes north of Tuolumne a few miles.
          Dee
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
          <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
          > Which High Sierra loop or route are you talking about? The only
          High
          > sierra route from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite I know is the JMT. -- In
          > johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less
          this
          > > loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done cut
          > back
          > > over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice
          > little
          > > 6 week jaunt. Dee
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
            I met someone who soloed Roper's High Route a few years ago (the
            full 200 miles). She said it was incredible and very isolated. She
            said some of the passes were a little difficult with a full pack
            (She is a VERY experienced climber / hiker).

            Here is a very nice online write up:
            http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ca/roper_highsierra.htm

            It sounds like fun!
            Best to all.

            wrote:
            > Steve Roper's high sierra route. He has a book out about it. He
            > plotted a course roughly parallel to the JMT except higher in many
            > places as he thought the JMT did not hug the highest of the Sierra
            > (except for the passes of course). It is an offtrail route and
            > difficult in places and easier in others. I have only hiked about
            > half of it, but it is awesome! It runs from Cedar Grove to Twin
            > Lakes north of Tuolumne a few miles.
            > Dee
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
            > <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
            > > Which High Sierra loop or route are you talking about? The only
            > High
            > > sierra route from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite I know is the JMT. --
            In
            > > johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > > I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less
            > this
            > > > loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done
            cut
            > > back
            > > > over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice
            > > little
            > > > 6 week jaunt. Dee
          • ndeewoods
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 17, 2003
              Well I've done approx 60 miles of it and I would have to say it is
              definitely not for novices or those lacking navigation/map reading
              skills...and in places not for the faint of heart. But it was
              gorgeous. Thinking of doing another piece this summer. Navigation
              makes me go so much slower that when I go to do the whole thing it
              would be nice to have done major portions of it so the navigation
              wouldn't slow me down on such a long trip.
              Dee