Here's a round trip idea...

  • ndeewoods
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
      I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less this
      loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done cut back
      over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice little
      6 week jaunt. Dee
    • ndeewoods
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
        Oops, meant High Sierra Route not loop...as in Steve Roper's. Dee
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less this
        > loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done cut
        back
        > over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice
        little
        > 6 week jaunt. Dee
      • Reinhold
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
          Which High Sierra loop or route are you talking about? The only High
          sierra route from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite I know is the JMT. -- In
          johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less this
          > loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done cut
          back
          > over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice
          little
          > 6 week jaunt. Dee
        • ndeewoods
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
            Steve Roper's high sierra route. He has a book out about it. He
            plotted a course roughly parallel to the JMT except higher in many
            places as he thought the JMT did not hug the highest of the Sierra
            (except for the passes of course). It is an offtrail route and
            difficult in places and easier in others. I have only hiked about
            half of it, but it is awesome! It runs from Cedar Grove to Twin
            Lakes north of Tuolumne a few miles.
            Dee
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
            <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
            > Which High Sierra loop or route are you talking about? The only
            High
            > sierra route from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite I know is the JMT. -- In
            > johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less
            this
            > > loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done cut
            > back
            > > over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice
            > little
            > > 6 week jaunt. Dee
          • Bill
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
              I met someone who soloed Roper's High Route a few years ago (the
              full 200 miles). She said it was incredible and very isolated. She
              said some of the passes were a little difficult with a full pack
              (She is a VERY experienced climber / hiker).

              Here is a very nice online write up:
              http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ca/roper_highsierra.htm

              It sounds like fun!
              Best to all.

              wrote:
              > Steve Roper's high sierra route. He has a book out about it. He
              > plotted a course roughly parallel to the JMT except higher in many
              > places as he thought the JMT did not hug the highest of the Sierra
              > (except for the passes of course). It is an offtrail route and
              > difficult in places and easier in others. I have only hiked about
              > half of it, but it is awesome! It runs from Cedar Grove to Twin
              > Lakes north of Tuolumne a few miles.
              > Dee
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Reinhold"
              > <jmtreinhold2003@y...> wrote:
              > > Which High Sierra loop or route are you talking about? The only
              > High
              > > sierra route from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite I know is the JMT. --
              In
              > > johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ndeewoods <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > > I haven't gotten the time worked out to do the JMT much less
              > this
              > > > loop, but I plan on doing it. Go south on the JMT, when done
              cut
              > > back
              > > > over to cedar grove and go north on the High Sierra loop. Nice
              > > little
              > > > 6 week jaunt. Dee
            • ndeewoods
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 17, 2003
                Well I've done approx 60 miles of it and I would have to say it is
                definitely not for novices or those lacking navigation/map reading
                skills...and in places not for the faint of heart. But it was
                gorgeous. Thinking of doing another piece this summer. Navigation
                makes me go so much slower that when I go to do the whole thing it
                would be nice to have done major portions of it so the navigation
                wouldn't slow me down on such a long trip.
                Dee