Re: [John Muir Trail] How did the Tyndall and Williamson trip go??

  • cbenson@mountainknowledge.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2003
      Boy am I late in replying. Sorry, seems you should have more time
      when you're unemployed but that job of searching for a job seems to
      take up more time than a job itself (anyone know of any software
      developer openings in the Bay Area? :-).

      So anyways the plan was to do a 3 day blitz up to Tyndall and/or
      Williamson. Never having been there I (as usual) overestimated my
      abilities and underestimated the effects of snow.

      Got to the trailhead later then I had intended but made it to Anvil
      camp by about 11 PM (glowing eyes in the dark can be quite unnerving
      when you're hiking alone). The next day eventually made it up
      Shepherd pass after losing the trail a few times due to snow. Snow
      level was about 10,000 feet. The pass itself had a couple of feet
      of snow which made for some slow going. Camped up near the base of
      Tyndall. Ran into some water issues. Plenty of snow melt but it
      was running through fields of varmit offal so had to hike a ways to
      feel safe even with the filter. Attempted Tyndall the next morning
      but it was really slow going because of a:) combo snow/rock fields
      and b) I was under the impression from the California's 14ers book
      that there was a trail that I never found...is there a trail? I got
      about halfway up before I decided I needed to get going. Got back
      to my campsite about 11ish am, packed and hiked out.

      Was a nice trip (anyday in the mountains is a good day) but didn't
      accomplish anything near what I was expecting. Look forward to
      going back some day an getting up Tyndall and down into the
      Williamson bowl area. Pretty cool looking with all the snow and
      frozen lakes and such.

      C!

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/