Re: Small question about permits.......

  • herbstroh
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3, 2009
      On our JMT-thur hike this year we were checked 3-4 times. But ironically, not in the Whitney Zone.

      Yosemite is pretty aggressive in checking. There was a ranger patrolling Lylell canyon for the express purpose of checking permits. Chatting with him, he indicated that they have someone patrolling that area daily. We were also checked a couple times while in the Kings Canyon jurisdiction. I do recall a ranger at Tyndall asking for a permit. We were also asked about bear cans but not compelled to show them. And they always told us about where you can't have a fire.

      The rangers were cool about it, just doing their job. In fact, we had planned to camp up Lylell Canyon just past the closed area, about 4 miles past the campground. The ranger in Lylell told us we were still a mile short, but was ok with it so long as the site was not visible from the trail and we did not plan a campfire.

      If you can't get in exactly where you want, keep asking for options--different trail heads, different first nights, etc. They want to make it work for you.