Re: [John Muir Trail] Food; MTR to Whitney Portal

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
      Say what you might want to look into is renting a bearikade expendition. I beleave it cost you $50 for the hold JMT it 900 cu in 200 more than the bearvault 500. They say it can supply you for up to 9 days. The first day u leave that food out because by the end of the day you would have eaten it. But if you can find a point where you can resupply in the somewhere else as the other suggested it will be better. But that is a lot a weight you have to carry. Ed

      From: "herbstroh@..."
      Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:45:03 -0400
      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Food; MTR to Whitney Portal

      As Peter suggests, you can legally hang food all the way to Pinchot
      (assuming you are SOBO)which is around 50 miles or so. By then your food
      should fit in. You might also run the numbers to see if you can knock out
      the miles in 8 or 9 days by adding a couple hours hiking to each day. If
      time and effort is no issue, you could hike out over Kearsarge and
      resupply--adding 2-4 days depending on how hard you want to work. Roleigh
      suggests using a pack service, which is also an option but will be pricey
      unless you can split the cost with someone else.

      Fitting 10 days in a can is not impossible, but would take very careful
      planning and repackaging. I would carry the gear to counterbalance just in
      case. And if unfamiliar with the task, practice it at home before you go.
      Its not hard to do, but when its cold/wet/windy and getting dark you don't
      want to be counterbalancing for the first time.

      Herb

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
        I have had 15 days of food in the Expedition - it's "cavernous" unless
        you pack silly inflated Mountain house pouches that will fill your can
        with air. Repack all your freeze dried into flexible zip lock bags and
        you'll fit a lot more into the can

        renting - $6 first 3 days, then $3 each additional day - online here,
        but would just call them:

        https://id215.chi.us.securedata.net/~wild-ideas/rent.html

        ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:

        > Say what you might want to look into is renting a bearikade
        > expendition. I beleave it cost you $50 for the hold JMT it 900 cu in
        > 200 more than the bearvault 500. They say it can supply you for up to
        > 9 days. The first day u leave that food out because by the end of the
        > day you would have eaten it. But if you can find a point where you can
        > resupply in the somewhere else as the other suggested it will be
        > better. But that is a lot a weight you have to carry. Ed
        >
        > Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBe

      • Barbara Burns
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
          Knee-slapper!  Thanks for the day-end laugh, and I believe you are right that Gary Larsen already covered that one!:-))))  No offense intended, Red Buffalo, but DON'T SLEEP WITH YOUR FOOD!

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
            Read some post where folks were placing their Mountain House packets under rocks..... I guess it worked?