Re: Info required on trail conditions 12July to 1 August 2003

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2003
      Mark,

      You shouldn't have a problem. We have had a significant amount of
      late season snow, especially in the Mammoth area and Yosemite high
      country. But the passes should be clear by late June. You may find
      some patches of snow on the north side of Donohue, but it should be
      mushy and easy to cross. By the time you reach Forester, it will
      almost certainly be clear.

      I would not carry an ice axe.

      I've been using this site for years to check the snow:
      http://cdec.water.ca.gov/selectQuery.html

      For station ID, enter: UTY (this is Upper Tyndall creek, just south
      of Forester)

      Leave sensor blank, enter a start date (like 5/1/2003) and "now" for
      end date.

      Click on the last item, Snow Water Content (revised)

      From my experience, all the passes are clear about 30 days after
      this sensor reads 0.0. Right now this sensor is reading 22.5 inches
      of water content.

      Also, check back on this thread, I'm sure some people will be hiking
      parts of the trail in June.

      Here are a couple of live cams to check and watch the snow melt:
      Yosemite Valley:
      http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/

      Mammoth Mountain:
      http://www.mammothmountain.com/cams/index.cfm?cam=main_still