Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply at Mammoth

  • Rich Ehli
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
      MTR says they close for the season on Saturday, Sept. 19th. We plan to
      reach MTR on the afternoon of the 18th, so we're cutting it a bit close
      but we have some slack in our schedule since our daily miles are not
      very ambitious.

      Peter Burke wrote:
      > Kurt Herzog wrote:
      >
      >> It used to be that the pack station at Red's
      >> Meadow (http://www.redsmeadow.com/) would hold
      >> resupply packages (you had to deliver them to the
      >> station). Do they no longer provide this service?
      >>
      >> Kurt P. Herzog
      >> Grants Pass, Oregon
      >>

      > the store next to the pack station has been handling resupply. I think
      > both close about the same time of year. The store also handles the
      > payments for the pack station services, so I guess they are part of the
      > same operation.
      >
      > I'm currently looking at a quick 2nd JMT for the year starting in late
      > September. I assume there won't be any place open for resupply except
      > maybe MTR. If they are not handling resupply in the last week of
      > September, I guess I am just packing everything and move faster. 10-12
      > days of food should fit into my big Bearikade and that should suffice
      > for Whitney to Tuolumne. There's always olive oil to provide nutrition
      > in a small space :-)

    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
        Rich Ehli wrote:
        > MTR says they close for the season on Saturday, Sept. 19th. We plan to
        > reach MTR on the afternoon of the 18th, so we're cutting it a bit close
        > but we have some slack in our schedule since our daily miles are not
        > very ambitious.

        thanks - that clears that up. I doubt I'll even be on the trail
        before that date. Not really a problem as long as I can get some food at
        Reds, although even that isn't a big deal, as I may not go any further
        north than Reds Meadow anyway. I'm still debating if I should do a full
        northbound Muir, or just my favorite southern two-thirds, which I could
        do without any resupply.

        Anyone know when Reds Meadow closes? I may be able to push the trip a
        week up to make it a full Muir Trail if I can get food at Reds without
        losing a day or more to hitching into Mammoth, otherwise I'd consider
        Reds the end point of the hike.
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
          As I wrote, the closing of Reds for resupply handling is worded on their web site as "about October 1" -- you should call them to get clarrification.  http://redsmeadow.com

          On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:
          Rich Ehli wrote:
          > MTR says they close for the season on Saturday, Sept. 19th. We plan to
          > reach MTR on the afternoon of the 18th, so we're cutting it a bit close
          > but we have some slack in our schedule since our daily miles are not
          > very ambitious.

          thanks - that clears that up.    I doubt I'll even be on the trail
          before that date. Not really a problem as long as I can get some food at
          Reds, although even that isn't a big deal, as I may not go any further
          north than Reds Meadow anyway. I'm still debating if I should do a full
          northbound Muir, or just my favorite southern two-thirds, which I could
          do without any resupply.

          Anyone know when Reds Meadow closes?  I may be able to push the trip a
          week up to make it a full Muir Trail if I can get food at Reds without
          losing a day or more to hitching into Mammoth, otherwise I'd consider
          Reds the end point of the hike.

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             mailto:johnmuirtrail-digest@yahoogroups.com
             mailto:johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Peter Burke
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
            I was going to call anyway and see if our unused northbound yo-yo hike
            resupply box still sits there waiting for me (they don't offer return
            service, so I guess I can be a bit late and pick it up 2 months after
            the planned date. I'd just hate to have all that good food go to waste :-))

            Roleigh Martin wrote:

            > As I wrote, the closing of Reds for resupply handling is worded on
            > their web site as "about October 1" -- you should call them to get
            > clarrification. http://redsmeadow.com <http://redsmeadow.com/>

          • Rich Ehli
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
              I checked with Reds today. They say they're open until Sept. 27.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
                Rich Ehli wrote:
                > I checked with Reds today. They say they're open until Sept. 27.

                sweet - now I have to make up my mind about doing the whole thing...