Resupply at Mammoth

  • Kurt Herzog
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
      It used to be that the pack station at Red's
      Meadow (http://www.redsmeadow.com/) would hold
      resupply packages (you had to deliver them to the
      station). Do they no longer provide this service?

      Kurt P. Herzog
      Grants Pass, Oregon
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
        http://www.redsmeadow.com/pdf/PackagePickUp.pdf

        *

        Package Pick-Up *and *Package Storage
        *

        (Applicable Only Between June 15-October 1 approximately)

        (Service Not Available Other Times of the Year)

        I would call to see if they will still be doing resupplies up to October 1
        -- looks like those start/end dates are flexible.

        On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Kurt Herzog <kpherzog@...> wrote:

        > It used to be that the pack station at Red's
        > Meadow (http://www.redsmeadow.com/) would hold
        > resupply packages (you had to deliver them to the
        > station). Do they no longer provide this service?
        >
        > Kurt P. Herzog
        > Grants Pass, Oregon

      • Peter Burke
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
          Kurt Herzog wrote:
          > It used to be that the pack station at Red's
          > Meadow (http://www.redsmeadow.com/) would hold
          > resupply packages (you had to deliver them to the
          > station). Do they no longer provide this service?
          >
          > Kurt P. Herzog
          > Grants Pass, Oregon

          the store next to the pack station has been handling resupply. I think
          both close about the same time of year. The store also handles the
          payments for the pack station services, so I guess they are part of the
          same operation.

          I'm currently looking at a quick 2nd JMT for the year starting in late
          September. I assume there won't be any place open for resupply except
          maybe MTR. If they are not handling resupply in the last week of
          September, I guess I am just packing everything and move faster. 10-12
          days of food should fit into my big Bearikade and that should suffice
          for Whitney to Tuolumne. There's always olive oil to provide nutrition
          in a small space :-)
        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
            Just off the op of my sleepy head and perhaps this has been covered or PATT at MTR has said something, but MTR migh be closing very early this season due to FLORENCE being drained.

            sparklefart.blogspot.com

            > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            > From: pburke@...
            > Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 10:11:21 -0500
            > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply at Mammoth
            >
            > Kurt Herzog wrote:
            > > It used to be that the pack station at Red's
            > > Meadow (http://www.redsmeadow.com/) would hold
            > > resupply packages (you had to deliver them to the
            > > station). Do they no longer provide this service?
            > >
            > > Kurt P. Herzog
            > > Grants Pass, Oregon
            > >

            > the store next to the pack station has been handling resupply. I think
            > both close about the same time of year. The store also handles the
            > payments for the pack station services, so I guess they are part of the
            > same operation.
            >
            > I'm currently looking at a quick 2nd JMT for the year starting in late
            > September. I assume there won't be any place open for resupply except
            > maybe MTR. If they are not handling resupply in the last week of
            > September, I guess I am just packing everything and move faster. 10-12
            > days of food should fit into my big Bearikade and that should suffice
            > for Whitney to Tuolumne. There's always olive oil to provide nutrition
            > in a small space :-)

            > <*> Your email settings:
            > Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            > <*> To change settings online go to:
            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            > <*> To change settings via email:
            > mailto:johnmuirtrail-digest@yahoogroups.com
            > mailto:johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.
          • Rich Ehli
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
              MTR says they close for the season on Saturday, Sept. 19th. We plan to
              reach MTR on the afternoon of the 18th, so we're cutting it a bit close
              but we have some slack in our schedule since our daily miles are not
              very ambitious.

              Peter Burke wrote:
              > Kurt Herzog wrote:
              >
              >> It used to be that the pack station at Red's
              >> Meadow (http://www.redsmeadow.com/) would hold
              >> resupply packages (you had to deliver them to the
              >> station). Do they no longer provide this service?
              >>
              >> Kurt P. Herzog
              >> Grants Pass, Oregon
              >>

              > the store next to the pack station has been handling resupply. I think
              > both close about the same time of year. The store also handles the
              > payments for the pack station services, so I guess they are part of the
              > same operation.
              >
              > I'm currently looking at a quick 2nd JMT for the year starting in late
              > September. I assume there won't be any place open for resupply except
              > maybe MTR. If they are not handling resupply in the last week of
              > September, I guess I am just packing everything and move faster. 10-12
              > days of food should fit into my big Bearikade and that should suffice
              > for Whitney to Tuolumne. There's always olive oil to provide nutrition
              > in a small space :-)

            • Peter Burke
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
                Rich Ehli wrote:
                > MTR says they close for the season on Saturday, Sept. 19th. We plan to
                > reach MTR on the afternoon of the 18th, so we're cutting it a bit close
                > but we have some slack in our schedule since our daily miles are not
                > very ambitious.

                thanks - that clears that up. I doubt I'll even be on the trail
                before that date. Not really a problem as long as I can get some food at
                Reds, although even that isn't a big deal, as I may not go any further
                north than Reds Meadow anyway. I'm still debating if I should do a full
                northbound Muir, or just my favorite southern two-thirds, which I could
                do without any resupply.

                Anyone know when Reds Meadow closes? I may be able to push the trip a
                week up to make it a full Muir Trail if I can get food at Reds without
                losing a day or more to hitching into Mammoth, otherwise I'd consider
                Reds the end point of the hike.
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
                  As I wrote, the closing of Reds for resupply handling is worded on their web site as "about October 1" -- you should call them to get clarrification.  http://redsmeadow.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
                    I was going to call anyway and see if our unused northbound yo-yo hike
                    resupply box still sits there waiting for me (they don't offer return
                    service, so I guess I can be a bit late and pick it up 2 months after
                    the planned date. I'd just hate to have all that good food go to waste :-))

                    Roleigh Martin wrote:

                    > As I wrote, the closing of Reds for resupply handling is worded on
                    > their web site as "about October 1" -- you should call them to get
                    > clarrification. http://redsmeadow.com <http://redsmeadow.com/>

                  • Rich Ehli
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
                      I checked with Reds today. They say they're open until Sept. 27.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
                        Rich Ehli wrote:
                        > I checked with Reds today. They say they're open until Sept. 27.

                        sweet - now I have to make up my mind about doing the whole thing...