Info required on trail conditions 12July to 1 August 2003

  • mark_biswell
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2003
      I am planning to come from the United Kindom to go N-S on JMT
      starting on 12 July.

      1/Any idea of the likely snow conditions during this time?

      2/We were planning to walk with hiking poles ( two per person )
      will it be essential to take an ice axe?

      3/Is there any way of checking the conditions nearer the time?
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7, 2003
        Mark,

        You shouldn't have a problem. We have had a significant amount of
        late season snow, especially in the Mammoth area and Yosemite high
        country. But the passes should be clear by late June. You may find
        some patches of snow on the north side of Donohue, but it should be
        mushy and easy to cross. By the time you reach Forester, it will
        almost certainly be clear.

        I would not carry an ice axe.

        I've been using this site for years to check the snow:
        http://cdec.water.ca.gov/selectQuery.html

        For station ID, enter: UTY (this is Upper Tyndall creek, just south
        of Forester)

        Leave sensor blank, enter a start date (like 5/1/2003) and "now" for
        end date.

        Click on the last item, Snow Water Content (revised)

        From my experience, all the passes are clear about 30 days after
        this sensor reads 0.0. Right now this sensor is reading 22.5 inches
        of water content.

        Also, check back on this thread, I'm sure some people will be hiking
        parts of the trail in June.

        Here are a couple of live cams to check and watch the snow melt:
        Yosemite Valley:
        http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/

        Mammoth Mountain:
        http://www.mammothmountain.com/cams/index.cfm?cam=main_still