Re: [John Muir Trail] Food; MTR to Whitney Portal

  • Peter Burke
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
      Two options

      - eat less

      - hang excess food with the old counter balance method. Between MTR and
      Pinchot Pass it is still legal to do so.

      There are no bear lockers before you get to Woods Creek.

      Sleeping with your food is about the dumbest thing I can think of -
      actually, I bet Gary Larson already thought of that. Crunchy, with a
      chewy center...

      Peter

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
        Plan for another resupply at OnionValley Trailhead with the packer station
        there, we did that this year -- Kearsarge Pass is a very nice pass trail.
        It's 7 miles from JMT Junction, so add 14 miles to your total hike. Packer
        is Dee (Denice Berner), something like Pine Creek PackStation/Sequoia Kings
        PackStation -- I"ll research it and get back. I don't know solo price, a
        group price can make the per hiker cost cheaper than MTR's fee. You can
        also shower at the TH too.

      • herbstroh@charter.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
          As Peter suggests, you can legally hang food all the way to Pinchot
          (assuming you are SOBO)which is around 50 miles or so. By then your food
          should fit in. You might also run the numbers to see if you can knock out
          the miles in 8 or 9 days by adding a couple hours hiking to each day. If
          time and effort is no issue, you could hike out over Kearsarge and
          resupply--adding 2-4 days depending on how hard you want to work. Roleigh
          suggests using a pack service, which is also an option but will be pricey
          unless you can split the cost with someone else.

          Fitting 10 days in a can is not impossible, but would take very careful
          planning and repackaging. I would carry the gear to counterbalance just in
          case. And if unfamiliar with the task, practice it at home before you go.
          Its not hard to do, but when its cold/wet/windy and getting dark you don't
          want to be counterbalancing for the first time.

          Herb

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
            I found the information for the packer.

            Pine Creek Pack Station, PO Box 968, Bishop, CA 93515 or if mailing by UPS or FedEx, send to Pine Creek Pack Station, 85 Pine Creek Road, Bishop, CA 93514.

            800-962-0775 - 800 Number
            760-387-2797 - In State Number
            Winter phone – 760-387-2627

            Sequoia Kings Pack Train - covers Independence area
            Pine Creek Pack Station  - covers Bishop area (base station for both pack station operations)
            Brian and Danica ("Dee") Berner, owners

            On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               mailto:johnmuirtrail-digest@yahoogroups.com
               mailto:johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
              Say what you might want to look into is renting a bearikade expendition. I beleave it cost you $50 for the hold JMT it 900 cu in 200 more than the bearvault 500. They say it can supply you for up to 9 days. The first day u leave that food out because by the end of the day you would have eaten it. But if you can find a point where you can resupply in the somewhere else as the other suggested it will be better. But that is a lot a weight you have to carry. Ed

              July 2010 Trip. Plan to resupply at MTR w/ 10 days of food. I'm reading
              where it's near impossible to store that much food in a canister. What do
              folks in this group suggest for handling "overflow" food for the first few
              days out of MTR? I just read a report where they slept with the Mountain
              House in the foot of their sleeping bags. It would be VERY helpful if
              there were camps (1 and 2 days out) outside of MTR (heading south) with
              Bear Boxes. Let me hear your suggestions. ...

              Red Buffalo

              Exchange - http://link. mail2web. com/Personal/ EnhancedEmail

            • Peter Burke
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
                I have had 15 days of food in the Expedition - it's "cavernous" unless
                you pack silly inflated Mountain house pouches that will fill your can
                with air. Repack all your freeze dried into flexible zip lock bags and
                you'll fit a lot more into the can

                renting - $6 first 3 days, then $3 each additional day - online here,
                but would just call them:

                https://id215.chi.us.securedata.net/~wild-ideas/rent.html

                ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:

                > Say what you might want to look into is renting a bearikade
                > expendition. I beleave it cost you $50 for the hold JMT it 900 cu in
                > 200 more than the bearvault 500. They say it can supply you for up to
                > 9 days. The first day u leave that food out because by the end of the
                > day you would have eaten it. But if you can find a point where you can
                > resupply in the somewhere else as the other suggested it will be
                > better. But that is a lot a weight you have to carry. Ed
                >
                > Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBe

              • Barbara Burns
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
                  Knee-slapper!  Thanks for the day-end laugh, and I believe you are right that Gary Larsen already covered that one!:-))))  No offense intended, Red Buffalo, but DON'T SLEEP WITH YOUR FOOD!

                  skdupre wrote:

                  > July 2010 Trip. Plan to resupply at MTR w/ 10 days of food. I'm
                  > reading where it's near impossible to store that much food in a
                  > canister. What do folks in this group suggest for handling "overflow"
                  > food for the first few days out of MTR? I just read a report where
                  > they slept with the Mountain House in the foot of their sleeping bags.
                  > It would be VERY helpful if there were camps (1 and 2 days out)
                  > outside of MTR (heading south) with Bear Boxes. Let me hear your
                  > suggestions. ...
                  >
                  > Red Buffalo

                • skdupre
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
                    Read some post where folks were placing their Mountain House packets under rocks..... I guess it worked?