RE: [John Muir Trail] Twolumne Meadows Post Office

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2009
      Tuolumne Meadow stops taking campsite reservations as of Sept 27 - maybe the
      store and grill are open til then?

      _____

      From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2009
        Say Rich, where are you going to resupply before you reach Red Meadow? How much food did you want to be carring. You could go down to Lake Edison or Muir Trail Ranch ( heard they charge $50).
        Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2009
          Ed -
          We shipped our bucket to MTR yesterday. Priority Mail postage came to
          $46 & change for a 21+ #s and yes, we paid $50 to MTR for receiving and
          holding the bucket. Personally, I am not unhappy to pay for the resupply
          option vs. carrying that weight any extra distance. Without MTR I think
          we'd have no choice but to burn about 4 days exiting the JMT to resupply
          at Bishop. We don't plan to ship our resupply boxes to RM and TM (if
          do-able) for another 2 weeks so we have time to formulate a Plan B if
          that's necessary. If TM doesn't close until 9/27, we're still in the
          game. We plan 4 days and a breakfast to reach RM from MTR, 2-1/2 days
          from RM to TM and 4 days to HI. Very conservative but I'd rather be
          ahead of schedule (as we expect) then cut it too close. Otherwise the
          schedule becomes too controlling.
          Rich

        • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2009
            Say Rich , back in 96 I went to bishop to resupply my self and in RM (Mammath Lake PO). Next year we are going nothbound. And planning to resupply our selfs at TM, Mammath Lake PO and Bishiop. Where you planning to say at Biship? What I did to get to south lake is camp out on the JMT of Bishop Pass so I can get early enough to hitch a ride to bishop. So if time a problem you could just stay long enough to get your food and do laundry. ED

            ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:
            > Say Rich, where are you going to resupply before you reach Red Meadow? How much food did you want to be carring. You could go down to Lake Edison or Muir Trail Ranch ( heard they charge $50).
            >
            > Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�

          • Rich Ehli
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
              Ed -
              Presently, we have no plans to visit Bishop unless some event forces us
              to leave the trail at that point. I was just trying to point out the
              disadvantage of having to leave the JMT at Bishop Pass Trail if resupply
              at MTR were not an option. When I weigh the costs, resupply at MTR seems
              to be a much less expensive choice than a 3-4 day detour into Bishop.
              Sorry for the confusion.

              Rich

              ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:
              > Say Rich , back in 96 I went to bishop to resupply my self and in RM (Mammath Lake PO). Next year we are going nothbound. And planning to resupply our selfs at TM, Mammath Lake PO and Bishiop. Where you planning to say at Biship? What I did to get to south lake is camp out on the JMT of Bishop Pass so I can get early enough to hitch a ride to bishop. So if time a problem you could just stay long enough to get your food and do laundry. ED

            • Rich Ehli
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
                I tried the TM several times. Based on the rings and tones, I believe it
                to be a fax number. Anyone have a voice number or an email address to
                TM? Thanks.
                Rich