Re: Red Cones Trail

  • johndittli
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi

      There is a free trolly that will take you from town up to Horseshoe Lake and the Mammoth Pass Trailhead. A 3-4 mile hike will take you to the Red Cones *NOTE* take the trail signed McLoud Lake not Mammoth Pass (left at the "Y"). There are several confusing intersections; after the lake there is a junction that is signed PC/Upper Crater Mdw (L) Red Cones (R), go right. Then a very confusing intersection PCT/Crater Mdw (L) Reds via JMT (R). Going left takes you down between the Cones to the PCT. Going right will take you to the top of the Red Cones and if you are VERY observant you will see the trail to Reds BEFORE you reach the summit.
      By all indications (signing and old John Muir Wilderness Map) the PCT and JMT are actually separate trails from here to Reds but most everyone walks the PCT route.

      I hope this helps.

      John