RE: [John Muir Trail] Departure to trail and leaving home

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 30, 2009
      OMG, glad to have you back Bob - wanna tell us how you really feel?? - no
      seriously, I did miss you! Barbara

      From: targetdoggmechanic@...
      Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 01:01:19 +0000

      The phone is $2 per minute, the internet is $8 per hour,
      you have to go thru a website to set up the service using your credit card,
      there is also a 24hr option if you are staying there for a while it is a
      better rate, but I am usually done after a few minutes just to check up if
      everything is OK at home. They have a great cook and a friendly staff, very
      hiker friendly. They are really short staffed this year, and it is easy to
      spend a lot of $$$ there. They will let you work to help pay off your tab if
      you ask them, Jim is a pretty accomodating guy. I mopped the floor in the
      kitchen and helped bus tables and did dishes. Another hiker was chopping
      wood, and another was repairing outboard motors. It was a good change of
      pace and allowed me to get out of there for under $50 for only a few hours
      of work. I ate well there and drank lots of beer and made a few phone
      calls. The store is good and has just about everything you will need. The
      hiker barrels are not as good as the ones at MTR, but I don't really count
      on them anyways. MTR is only 2 days away if you want to dig through their
      well stocked barrells if you are short, but you can buy pretty much anything
      to suit most hikers at VVR's store. Sprint is spotty around there, I dont
      know about cingular, but AT&T works from the beach where the taxi drops you
      off, and Verizon works just about anywhere there is not a lot of tree cover
      on most days, and better at the beach and at night. Its definitely farther
      off the trail than MTR, but I rate their hiker friendliness and service
      5-stars. MTR seems to cater more towards their paid guests. And, you can
      take a hot shower for reasonably cheap and the bathrooms are free. Laundry
      also available. I usually have a great time here. Most of the staff are

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "onkelb0b" <onkelbob@...> wrote:

      > If I recall correctly Sprint cell works from the diversion dam at VVR. A
      bit of a walk but... (I spent $200 at VVR on my 2000 hike!)

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "herbstroh@" <herbstroh@> wrote:

      > > If you are planning a stop at VVR, Jim has a satelite phone you can use
      for

      > > $2.00 per minute. They also have email there, can't remember the charge
      per

      > > hour. I know you don't want to promise email from MR, but they claim it
      is

      > > very reliable.

      Thanks

      > > for letting me join in the fun!

      > > A buddy and I will be hitting the road from Montana on Thursday AM,
      hoping

      > > to arrive late Friday with the ultimate goal of picking up a walk-in
      permit

      > > on Saturday. If not, we'll drive up to TM to try again on Sunday.
      Worst

      > > case, we pick up our permit to begin at TM on Monday, 8/17. Our goal is

      > > exit WP sometime before 8/30 so we can relax back at the office.

      > > Any words of wisdom for how to calm my wife about the propect of not

      > > hearing from me for 12 days? I have a SPOT, but as we've all seen and

      > > heard, my "experiences" have been about 50/50. Also, don't want to
      promise

      > > an e-mail at MTR, because I figure I'm worse off if I can't get one out
      and

      > > I promised one. Trying to mix in some "her" time along with the
      finishing

      > > touches of packing this darn bear canister.

      > > Thanks for all the great information this blog has going, and again,
      thanks

      > > for letting me share this great trail!

      > > Jason Preble

      > > Billings, MT

      > > myhosting.com - Premium MicrosoftR WindowsR and Linux web and
      application