RE: [John Muir Trail] Doing Tuolumne to the Valley in Mid September

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 2009
      Gosh, I missed so much controversy here . . . SPOT devices,good for this, but not that . . . minute temp deviations . . . what do I do!!!! bear cans vs. bear boxes and all sorts of things . . . sure beats sleeping under the stars.

      bob

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: ulhiker1@...
      Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 18:44:58 +0000
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Doing Tuolumne to the Valley in Mid September

      John:

      To follow what you said, I called the YV permit office today and was told that if you use the lockers at Sunrise and LYV campsites, no canister is required.

      Jim

      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:39:36

      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

      It strikes me that there is a legal question and an ethical question.

      To be legal, I think you are required to carry a bearcan. Maybe I'm wrong

      about this, but I think I'm right.

      Ethically, I suppose it is ethical to travel without a bearcan if one made *

      sure* one's food got into a bearbox each night.

      Food hanging in Yosemite is definitely illegal anywhere in Yosemite Park.

      And, in my opinion, unethical. You might "get by" with a properly hung bag

      since there are now relatively few "bad bears" in the backcountry. But if

      20% of the people chose to do that, all our old bear problems would return.