RE: [John Muir Trail] Mono Hot Springs -- best place on the JMT to take tangent to get to it for a full down day or 2

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2009
      I don't know about them there "tangents" but just as a bit of information . . . I've done the regular JMT switch-back route out of VVR a couple times. Then I've done the BEAR RIDGE TRAIL a few more times and this time I got a ride down to the BEAR CREEK TRAIL HEAD. AMAZING.
      If you like lots of water, lots or Granite, lots of pools of water and swimming, not to forget a much easier day of walking, then try the BCT. amazing��just don't take your friends who have to stop at every great pool of water for a dip��it'll be a very long day.
      bob

      sparklefart.blogspot.com

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: roleigh@...
      Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:38:07 -0500
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Mono Hot Springs -- best place on the JMT to take tangent to get to it for a full down day or 2

      Does anyone know of the best place on the JMT to take tangent to get to it

      for a full down day or 2?

      http://www.monohotsprings.com/

      I recently finished the JMT and wished there was vacancy in a cabin at Muir

      Trail Ranch (there was not this year, but had been that I very much enjoyed

      last year). For next year, I want to consider Mono Hot Springs as a down

      day if it can be gotten to via a tangent around MTR, or does one need to

      make the tangent earlier? (where?)

      I figure one could walk from Muir Trail Ranch to the Florence Lake, take a

      ferry, and on the other side, how easy is it to get to Mono Hot Springs, or

      is there an easier way?

      Thanks.

      Roleigh