Re: [John Muir Trail] Departing tomorrow 8/12

  • Steve Schauer
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2009
      Just got back from the trail, so I've missed a lot of the threads. One thing I would like to add about butter is that you can clarify it by heating it to liquid, then skimming the solids off the top. It will last months that way. (At one time Trader Joes was selling it, if you don't want to do it yourself.) I pour it into muffin paper cups, cool it, then package it in a vacuum sealer, as air can also make fats rancid. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it is sure yummy to have real butter to mix with cinnamon sugar and dried apples for breakfast.
      We also bring olive oil in small bottles to add to pasta for extra calories. A new bread we found is by Orowheat, a small flatbread like a squished hamburger bun. It doesn't have a lot of calories, but we were able to use it for sandwiches for the first 5 days of our trip. Tastes good, but must have a lot of preservatives because the ones I left on our counter are still okay!Claire

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2009
        I also clarify butter. Several things I have found

        1) if you use regular butter, which has a lot of salt, the salt may all
        settle in the bottom of whatever you package it in. The salt on your last
        day can be overwhelming. If you start with unsalted butter, you eliminate
        this problem.

        2) It's easy to tell when all the water is out. It will stop bubbling.
        However, once it stops bubbling, turn off the heat or you may burn the
        butter.

        3) I package in 4 or 8-oz nalgene bottles. They pretty much eliminate the
        risk of leakage, which can be nasty.

        4) If its cold, it can be hard to get the butter out of the bottom of the
        bottle. Just warm the bottle in your hot water before adding hot cereal.

        I use clarified butter occasionally on pasta (with grated cheese) on the
        first night of a trip. (Some of the Japanese soba noodles cok very
        quickly) I use it daily with my cooked breakfast cereal. I've had it on
        trail for 11 days without problems, and I suspect it would last longer. It
        seems very stable once you get the water out (by simmering it out) and the
        protein out (by skimming off the foam at the top).

        It adds a lot of calories, 250 calories per oz. I find I can tolerate up to
        2 oz. per day in breakfast cereal -- and that's 500 calories all by itself.
        More often, tho, I use 1 to 1.5 oz. per day.

        1 lb of butter probably makes something in the range of 12 fluid oz. of
        clarified butter, less if you lose some of the butter oil as you skim the
        foam off the top.

        A fine mesh screen works well for skimming the foam. Cooking stores that
        have Chinese cooking implements will often have these -- looks like a very
        shallow spoon with the bottom made of a fine mesh.

        At resupply points, you can often buy butter. You can clarify it in a
        jetboil. Uses a fair amount of fuel, though, s you may want to use the
        dregs of your old fuel cannister rather than starting to drain your new
        one..

        San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        415-648-9279