Re: [John Muir Trail] Okay - let's try to plan a group hike

  • Kathy <wingding@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 23, 2003
      Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
      pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
      passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

      I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
      to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richey35@c... wrote:
      > Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an
      ice axe.
      > Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1.
      I don't
      > have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an
      amazing
      > hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really
      nice. - Bob R

      > << I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the
      Sawmill
    • richey35@cs.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
        At 11.2 K Cottonwood Pass is low by comparison with most passes in the
        Southern Sierra, and last year was really dry in the south, thus the big
        fires in Sequoia National Forest. The predictions based on snow water
        content I read on the PCT website suggest the Northern Sierra are about 10%
        above normal, and the south is 25% below. PCT thru-hikers will probably set
        out from Kennedy Meadows about June 1, but most will have ice axes. I think
        Sawmill Pass could be pretty challenging without an ice axe, but it should be
        beautiful if you make it. If you go north on the other side of the pass,
        you would have to cross Woods Creek, which I have done way west of there
        across the amazing bridge on the JMT. An unbridged crossing of Woods Creek
        around June 1 could be hair-raising. I wouldn't want to take the chance of
        having to turn back on the first three-day weekend of prime hiking season, so
        let me know if anybody is interested in a lower altitude hike over Memorial
        Day. If you'd like to see the attachment from the PCT website, please
        contact me and I will forward it along. - Bob R

        << <tt>
        Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
        pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
        passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

        I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
        to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richey35@c... wrote:
        > Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an
        ice axe.
        > Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1.
        I don't
        > have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an
        amazing
        > hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really
        nice. - Bob R

        > << I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the
        Sawmill
        > Pass Trail on the eastside over Memorial Day Weekend instead of
        > Wishon. >> >>
      • jimr_pdx
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 9, 2003
          If a sequel sounds interesting, a mid-September shortie would be cool
          - airline fares & a ride from SAC, RNO? permitting. I'm pretty
          much occupied through August with other tasks & events. Several of us
          from another Yahoo group got together in 2001 & went Wishon to
          Halfmoon (& beyond, see http://www.granitic.net); nice area, pretty lake!
        • Kathy
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 13, 2003
            I've settled on Olancha Peak for Memorial Day weekend. To find
            water, that trip need to be early.