Re: [John Muir Trail] Okay - let's try to plan a group hike

  • richey35@cs.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 22, 2003
      Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an ice axe.
      Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1. I don't
      have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an amazing
      hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really nice. - Bob R

      << I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the Sawmill
      Pass Trail on the eastside over Memorial Day Weekend instead of
      Wishon. >>
    • Kathy <wingding@earthlink.net>
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 23, 2003
        Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
        pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
        passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

        I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
        to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

      • richey35@cs.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
          At 11.2 K Cottonwood Pass is low by comparison with most passes in the
          Southern Sierra, and last year was really dry in the south, thus the big
          fires in Sequoia National Forest. The predictions based on snow water
          content I read on the PCT website suggest the Northern Sierra are about 10%
          above normal, and the south is 25% below. PCT thru-hikers will probably set
          out from Kennedy Meadows about June 1, but most will have ice axes. I think
          Sawmill Pass could be pretty challenging without an ice axe, but it should be
          beautiful if you make it. If you go north on the other side of the pass,
          you would have to cross Woods Creek, which I have done way west of there
          across the amazing bridge on the JMT. An unbridged crossing of Woods Creek
          around June 1 could be hair-raising. I wouldn't want to take the chance of
          having to turn back on the first three-day weekend of prime hiking season, so
          let me know if anybody is interested in a lower altitude hike over Memorial
          Day. If you'd like to see the attachment from the PCT website, please
          contact me and I will forward it along. - Bob R

          << <tt>
          Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
          pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
          passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

          I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
          to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richey35@c... wrote:
          > Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an
          ice axe.
          > Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1.
          I don't
          > have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an
          amazing
          > hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really
          nice. - Bob R

          > << I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the
          Sawmill
          > Pass Trail on the eastside over Memorial Day Weekend instead of
          > Wishon. >> >>
        • jimr_pdx
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 9, 2003
            If a sequel sounds interesting, a mid-September shortie would be cool
            - airline fares & a ride from SAC, RNO? permitting. I'm pretty
            much occupied through August with other tasks & events. Several of us
            from another Yahoo group got together in 2001 & went Wishon to
            Halfmoon (& beyond, see http://www.granitic.net); nice area, pretty lake!
          • Kathy
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 13, 2003
              I've settled on Olancha Peak for Memorial Day weekend. To find
              water, that trip need to be early.