Re: [John Muir Trail] Okay - let's try to plan a group hike

  • Kathy <wingding@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 22, 2003
      I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the Sawmill
      Pass Trail on the eastside over Memorial Day Weekend instead of
      Wishon.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, terry thatcher <tery4u@y...>
      wrote:

      > smile----if your going to be there---i would love to do it--sounds
      nice--depends if i have to work that weekend--but for now sounds like
      a plan-----"I'm SO Excited"--grin
      > "Kathy <wingding@e...>" <wingding@e...> wrote:Bob: I'm interested
      in the Wishon to Halfmoon hike if you do it over

    • richey35@cs.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 22, 2003
        Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an ice axe.
        Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1. I don't
        have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an amazing
        hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really nice. - Bob R

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 23, 2003
          Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
          pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
          passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

          I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
          to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

        • richey35@cs.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
            At 11.2 K Cottonwood Pass is low by comparison with most passes in the
            Southern Sierra, and last year was really dry in the south, thus the big
            fires in Sequoia National Forest. The predictions based on snow water
            content I read on the PCT website suggest the Northern Sierra are about 10%
            above normal, and the south is 25% below. PCT thru-hikers will probably set
            out from Kennedy Meadows about June 1, but most will have ice axes. I think
            Sawmill Pass could be pretty challenging without an ice axe, but it should be
            beautiful if you make it. If you go north on the other side of the pass,
            you would have to cross Woods Creek, which I have done way west of there
            across the amazing bridge on the JMT. An unbridged crossing of Woods Creek
            around June 1 could be hair-raising. I wouldn't want to take the chance of
            having to turn back on the first three-day weekend of prime hiking season, so
            let me know if anybody is interested in a lower altitude hike over Memorial
            Day. If you'd like to see the attachment from the PCT website, please
            contact me and I will forward it along. - Bob R

            << <tt>
            Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
            pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
            passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

            I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
            to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richey35@c... wrote:
            > Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an
            ice axe.
            > Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1.
            I don't
            > have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an
            amazing
            > hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really
            nice. - Bob R

            > << I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the
            Sawmill
            > Pass Trail on the eastside over Memorial Day Weekend instead of
            > Wishon. >> >>
          • jimr_pdx
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 9, 2003
              If a sequel sounds interesting, a mid-September shortie would be cool
              - airline fares & a ride from SAC, RNO? permitting. I'm pretty
              much occupied through August with other tasks & events. Several of us
              from another Yahoo group got together in 2001 & went Wishon to
              Halfmoon (& beyond, see http://www.granitic.net); nice area, pretty lake!
            • Kathy
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 13, 2003
                I've settled on Olancha Peak for Memorial Day weekend. To find
                water, that trip need to be early.