Bodyglide & blisters

  • mvkazit
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2009
      I just finish my JMT hike. It was a pretty intense hike (around 30 miles per day). But I manage to finish it without a blisters. So, I want to share part of experience:

      - soft trail running shoes, can save you feet (I use Brooks cascadia 3) ;

      - bodyglide - is greate product to protect all points with a lot of friction. I use it on feet (twice a day) and solders;

      - light gaiters from http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/ will protect you shoes from sand and small stones and they REALLY breath;

      - feet must be happy all the time ;) If they even slightly unhappy - stop and fix it ...........

      The whole set looks like this: http://picasaweb.google.com/mvkazit/JohnMuirTrail#5373808566156894434
    • Jon Sterling
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2009
        For those of you interested in the Vibram Five Fingers results:

        -The worked wonderfully when I was climbing uphill and crossing streams.
        -The provide no cushion for the pounding on long downhills and I
        didn't wear them for those sections.
        -Unexpected footwear issue: my New Balance shoes fell apart around
        mile 150 (almost brand new before the trip). The PCT through-hikers
        were wearing a variety of NB shoes, but I guess mine weren't up to
        par.

        Next time, I'll still take the Vibram Five Fingers, and a sturdier
        pair of trail shoes. Live and learn. Great trip overall.

        --
        Follow me on Twitter and I will make you laugh. @mistersterling
      • Peter Burke
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27, 2009
          Jon Sterling wrote:

          > -Unexpected footwear issue: my New Balance shoes fell apart around
          > mile 150 (almost brand new before the trip). The PCT through-hikers
          > were wearing a variety of NB shoes, but I guess mine weren't up to
          > par.

          It's not just NB - my 90 pound son wore a pair of North Face trail
          runners that started to fall apart at about mile 100. They were trash by
          the time we got to Whitney, but at leas they did hold together.
          Meanwhile, my La Sportiva Trangos are barely broken in after 300 miles.
          He had a few blisters, I had none.

          these do not get our JMT stamp of approval:
          http://www.zappos.com/product/7364699/color/180193

          these were awesome for a heavy pack, but probably could use better
          insoles for better downhill damping
          http://www.rei.com/product/721444
        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2009
            Sterling,
            good to bump into you and the table there at VVR . . . boot wise, I gotta say, I played dangerous (but confidently) with my boots for this trip. bought my second pair of REI Monarch IV's and they were great to my feet. I had only worn them for maybe three hours before the trip, so they were right out of the box and again, barely a bruise.
            If I'd thought of it, I might have invested in a pair of super feet and my biggest and only complaint��the standard shoe strings didn't last me ten days. bring extra.
            bob

            sparklefart.blogspot.com

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: mistersterling@...
            Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:55:07 -0700
            Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Bodyglide & blisters

            For those of you interested in the Vibram Five Fingers results:

            -The worked wonderfully when I was climbing uphill and crossing streams.

            -The provide no cushion for the pounding on long downhills and I

            didn't wear them for those sections.

            -Unexpected footwear issue: my New Balance shoes fell apart around

            mile 150 (almost brand new before the trip). The PCT through-hikers

            were wearing a variety of NB shoes, but I guess mine weren't up to

            par.

            Next time, I'll still take the Vibram Five Fingers, and a sturdier

            pair of trail shoes. Live and learn. Great trip overall.

            On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:27 PM, mvkazit<mvkazit@...> wrote:

            > I just finish my JMT hike. It was a pretty intense hike (around 30 miles per

            > day). But I manage to finish it without a blisters. So, I want to share part

            > of experience:

            > - soft trail running shoes, can save you feet (I use Brooks cascadia 3) ;

            > - bodyglide - is greate product to protect all points with a lot of

            > friction. I use it on feet (twice a day) and solders;

            > - light gaiters from http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/ will protect you shoes

            > from sand and small stones and they REALLY breath;

            > - feet must be happy all the time ;) If they even slightly unhappy - stop

            > and fix it ...........

            > The whole set looks like this:

            > http://picasaweb.google.com/mvkazit/JohnMuirTrail#5373808566156894434

            --

            Follow me on Twitter and I will make you laugh. @mistersterling

          • karpanilove
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jon Sterling <mistersterling@...> wrote:

              > For those of you interested in the Vibram Five Fingers results:
              >
              > -The worked wonderfully when I was climbing uphill and crossing streams.
              > -The provide no cushion for the pounding on long downhills and I
              > didn't wear them for those sections.
              > -Unexpected footwear issue: my New Balance shoes fell apart around
              > mile 150 (almost brand new before the trip). The PCT through-hikers
              > were wearing a variety of NB shoes, but I guess mine weren't up to
              > par.
              >
              > Next time, I'll still take the Vibram Five Fingers, and a sturdier
              > pair of trail shoes. Live and learn. Great trip overall.

              Thank you, Jon, for sharing your Vibram Five Fingers experience. I thought about you on the trail and wondered how they were working for you, having my own experience at the time:) And for those interested, here's mine:

              On August 10, my daughter and I embarked on our first JMT hike wearing only our Vibram Five Fingers (vffs) from Happy Isles to Red's. The shoes performed magnificently, perfectly for my daughter, just less than perfect for me (not the fault of the shoe). The two small toes on each of my feet are small and do not fully fit/fill into the shoe toes. Because my two pinkie toes were not fully supported, when I clipped a hidden rock on the sandy trail(or one maybe not so hidden, but too late a reality on my course!), the shoe toe was "grabbed" leaving my toe at the mercy of nasty tweaks and bends. I am presently healing from badly twisted or broken little toes. My experience of stubbing my other toes on the trail was ordinary and uneventful, very well protected by the shoes. We are both small women and were each carrying 37# to 42#s averaging ten miles per day.

              My bottom-line experience with my vffs was positive. I love the opening, alignment and strengthening that has been going on in my feet, ankles and legs. We primed ourselves for several months day-to-day with the new vffs, on other hikes and with weight prior to our JMT hike, so I feel we were prepared to at least a fair degree.

              The greatest advantage was in climbing and descending, with sure-footedness and confidence. Stream-crossings were made really easy, rock-hopping with the foot grip of a frog. And with the vffs, getting wet is not a problem, and in heat, an added bonus. The sandy aspect on the HI to Red's part of the JMT was the most challenging to wearing the vffs, and yet, possibly contributed most to foot opening/alignment.

              Neither of us had even a hint of hot spots or blisters.

              I was grateful to have carried my Garmont Kiowas as backup
              to the vffs, since those little swollen feet/toes would not go into the vffs the morning we left Red's.

              I'll be back another day . . . Excellent Trip.

              Just a note . . .I have contacted Vibram Five Fingers to inquire as to whether they might consider making a custom fit shoe (KSO or Sprint) for those of us with two slightly different sized feet and/or not-so-perfect foot design. I haven't heard back from them yet.