Re: [John Muir Trail] Good times with HAPE

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2009
      My sentiments exactly too. My own experiences in how I've avoided such
      problems and I lead High Sierra hikes for many who are from flat lands.
      This summer I did the entire JMT with 7 others (starting out, not all had
      time to do whole hike). Nobody had to quit due to HAPA, but we spent 2
      nights at Yosemite Valley before starting hike, 3 days from Happy Isles to
      TM, then we did TM to Reds Meadows in 4 days. Doing the acclimitization
      that slow/gradual over those many days, enabled us to make that distance.
      The 3 of us who did the entire JMT had no problems, and 2 of us were from
      MN.

      I always prefer being at TH altitude 1-2 days before hitting the trail, and
      taking 3 days before hitting 10,000 and taking 2 days before hitting 9,000.

      We hike at a 10 mile a day pace once we get going but started out at a 7
      mile a day pace.

      Doing the first passes, hikers were recommended taking enteric coated
      aspirin to help thin the blood a little. It helped 2-3 of the hikers.