Re: [John Muir Trail] Okay - let's try to plan a group hike

  • Kathy <wingding@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2003
      but a 12 mile a day average is probably too much for me. I am
      planning on 10 miles a day for most of my trips this summer. Wishon
      to Halfmoon is 24 miles, so that wouldn't be a problem over 3 days.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richey35@c... wrote:
      > I'm up for a group hike. I usually try to get in 3 or 4 hikes of
      three or
      > four days each in the Sierras + one longer trip of one or two
      weeks. This
      > year I will probably be able to put in one long trip of 10 days at
      the
      > maximum, or risk murder and mayhem from my wife for not doing a
      family trip
      > over spring break. Being older than dirt, but packing really
      light, I can go
      > 20+ miles on a good day, but I find 12 is a good average distance
      for seeing
      > a lot. I'm up for one long trip of up to 120 miles at the most,
      but I'd like
      > to go at least 60. If it stays dry, starting a long trip in July
      would
      > probably be better. Last year starting my trip around the
      beginning of
      > August, streams were drying up south of Forester Pass and there
      were more
      > marmots than flowers. I'm open to hiking pretty much anywhere in
      the
      > Sierras. Hiking with people who want to go at different speeds or
      who don't
      > get along can detract a lot from the experience. So it seems wise
      for a
      > group to get together for a short hike in late May or June to see
      if people
      > get along. I'm planning a trip for Memorial Day weekend and was
      thinking of
      > going from Wishon Resevoir to Halfmoon Lake and back. Let me know
      if anybody
      > wants to come along. - Bob Richey
      > .
      > << Sounds like a good idea. How many days, miles per day, and
      when?
      > High Sierra or JMT Section? >>
    • terry thatcher
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2003
        smile----if your going to be there---i would love to do it--sounds nice--depends if i have to work that weekend--but for now sounds like a plan-----"I'm SO Excited"--grin
        "Kathy <wingding@...>" <wingding@...> wrote:Bob: I'm interested in the Wishon to Halfmoon hike if you do it over
        Memorial Day. From what I've read, that sounds like a good area for
        a early hike.

        Terry: What about you?

        Kathy

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 22, 2003
          I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the Sawmill
          Pass Trail on the eastside over Memorial Day Weekend instead of
          Wishon.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, terry thatcher <tery4u@y...>

        • richey35@cs.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 22, 2003
            Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an ice axe.
            Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1. I don't
            have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an amazing
            hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really nice. - Bob R

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 23, 2003
              Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
              pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
              passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

              I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
              to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

            • richey35@cs.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
                At 11.2 K Cottonwood Pass is low by comparison with most passes in the
                Southern Sierra, and last year was really dry in the south, thus the big
                fires in Sequoia National Forest. The predictions based on snow water
                content I read on the PCT website suggest the Northern Sierra are about 10%
                above normal, and the south is 25% below. PCT thru-hikers will probably set
                out from Kennedy Meadows about June 1, but most will have ice axes. I think
                Sawmill Pass could be pretty challenging without an ice axe, but it should be
                beautiful if you make it. If you go north on the other side of the pass,
                you would have to cross Woods Creek, which I have done way west of there
                across the amazing bridge on the JMT. An unbridged crossing of Woods Creek
                around June 1 could be hair-raising. I wouldn't want to take the chance of
                having to turn back on the first three-day weekend of prime hiking season, so
                let me know if anybody is interested in a lower altitude hike over Memorial
                Day. If you'd like to see the attachment from the PCT website, please
                contact me and I will forward it along. - Bob R

                << <tt>
                Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
                pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
                passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

                I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
                to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richey35@c... wrote:
                > Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an
                ice axe.
                > Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1.
                I don't
                > have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an
                amazing
                > hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really
                nice. - Bob R

                > << I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the
                Sawmill
                > Pass Trail on the eastside over Memorial Day Weekend instead of
                > Wishon. >> >>
              • jimr_pdx
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 9, 2003
                  If a sequel sounds interesting, a mid-September shortie would be cool
                  - airline fares & a ride from SAC, RNO? permitting. I'm pretty
                  much occupied through August with other tasks & events. Several of us
                  from another Yahoo group got together in 2001 & went Wishon to
                  Halfmoon (& beyond, see http://www.granitic.net); nice area, pretty lake!
                • Kathy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 13, 2003
                    I've settled on Olancha Peak for Memorial Day weekend. To find
                    water, that trip need to be early.