Re: [John Muir Trail] Okay - let's try to plan a group hike

  • Kathy <wingding@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
      Bob: I'm interested in the Wishon to Halfmoon hike if you do it over
      Memorial Day. From what I've read, that sounds like a good area for
      a early hike.

      Terry: What about you?

      Kathy

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2003
        but a 12 mile a day average is probably too much for me. I am
        planning on 10 miles a day for most of my trips this summer. Wishon
        to Halfmoon is 24 miles, so that wouldn't be a problem over 3 days.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richey35@c... wrote:
        > I'm up for a group hike. I usually try to get in 3 or 4 hikes of
        three or
        > four days each in the Sierras + one longer trip of one or two
        weeks. This
        > year I will probably be able to put in one long trip of 10 days at
        the
        > maximum, or risk murder and mayhem from my wife for not doing a
        family trip
        > over spring break. Being older than dirt, but packing really
        light, I can go
        > 20+ miles on a good day, but I find 12 is a good average distance
        for seeing
        > a lot. I'm up for one long trip of up to 120 miles at the most,
        but I'd like
        > to go at least 60. If it stays dry, starting a long trip in July
        would
        > probably be better. Last year starting my trip around the
        beginning of
        > August, streams were drying up south of Forester Pass and there
        were more
        > marmots than flowers. I'm open to hiking pretty much anywhere in
        the
        > Sierras. Hiking with people who want to go at different speeds or
        who don't
        > get along can detract a lot from the experience. So it seems wise
        for a
        > group to get together for a short hike in late May or June to see
        if people
        > get along. I'm planning a trip for Memorial Day weekend and was
        thinking of
        > going from Wishon Resevoir to Halfmoon Lake and back. Let me know
        if anybody
        > wants to come along. - Bob Richey
        > .
        > << Sounds like a good idea. How many days, miles per day, and
        when?
        > High Sierra or JMT Section? >>
      • terry thatcher
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2003
          smile----if your going to be there---i would love to do it--sounds nice--depends if i have to work that weekend--but for now sounds like a plan-----"I'm SO Excited"--grin
          "Kathy <wingding@...>" <wingding@...> wrote:Bob: I'm interested in the Wishon to Halfmoon hike if you do it over

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 22, 2003
            I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the Sawmill
            Pass Trail on the eastside over Memorial Day Weekend instead of
            Wishon.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, terry thatcher <tery4u@y...>

          • richey35@cs.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 22, 2003
              Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an ice axe.
              Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1. I don't
              have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an amazing
              hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really nice. - Bob R

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 23, 2003
                Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
                pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
                passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

                I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
                to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

              • richey35@cs.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
                  At 11.2 K Cottonwood Pass is low by comparison with most passes in the
                  Southern Sierra, and last year was really dry in the south, thus the big
                  fires in Sequoia National Forest. The predictions based on snow water
                  content I read on the PCT website suggest the Northern Sierra are about 10%
                  above normal, and the south is 25% below. PCT thru-hikers will probably set
                  out from Kennedy Meadows about June 1, but most will have ice axes. I think
                  Sawmill Pass could be pretty challenging without an ice axe, but it should be
                  beautiful if you make it. If you go north on the other side of the pass,
                  you would have to cross Woods Creek, which I have done way west of there
                  across the amazing bridge on the JMT. An unbridged crossing of Woods Creek
                  around June 1 could be hair-raising. I wouldn't want to take the chance of
                  having to turn back on the first three-day weekend of prime hiking season, so
                  let me know if anybody is interested in a lower altitude hike over Memorial
                  Day. If you'd like to see the attachment from the PCT website, please
                  contact me and I will forward it along. - Bob R

                  << <tt>
                  Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
                  pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
                  passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

                  I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
                  to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richey35@c... wrote:
                  > Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an
                  ice axe.
                  > Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1.
                  I don't
                  > have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an
                  amazing
                  > hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really
                  nice. - Bob R

                  > << I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the
                  Sawmill
                  > Pass Trail on the eastside over Memorial Day Weekend instead of
                  > Wishon. >> >>
                • jimr_pdx
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 9, 2003
                    If a sequel sounds interesting, a mid-September shortie would be cool
                    - airline fares & a ride from SAC, RNO? permitting. I'm pretty
                    much occupied through August with other tasks & events. Several of us
                    from another Yahoo group got together in 2001 & went Wishon to
                    Halfmoon (& beyond, see http://www.granitic.net); nice area, pretty lake!
                  • Kathy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 13, 2003
                      I've settled on Olancha Peak for Memorial Day weekend. To find
                      water, that trip need to be early.