Re: [John Muir Trail] bear lockers

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2009
      My thoughts on this quite common probem:

      The best thing to do if you decide *you are oversupplied* with food, and are
      tempted to leave it in a bear box: start asking other hikers: "Could you use
      any extra food?" If you are hiking SpBo in an area with NoBo PCT
      thru-hikers (June and early July) you are 100% certain to get rid of it
      within 10 hikers. The rest of the year, you probably will get rid of it
      either to someone who is truly hungry or someone who has gotten bored with
      his food, and yours looks better to him/her, though you may have to ask more
      than 10 people..

      Second best thing (a distant second): put it in a bear box VERY clearly
      labeled as abandoned food that can be taken by anyone who can use it. Also
      place a note under a rock adjacent to the trail itself reading "free food in
      bear box - PLEASE remove this note if your remove the food." This is
      probably NOT the best practice, but I consider it a very minor sin,
      particularly in the season with the PCT thru-hikers (June and early July).
      Very late in the hiking season, when the danger increases that the rangers
      will have to pack this out, it becomes a more major sin.

      Never leave food that might spoil -- only things that can sit in a hot
      bearbox for several weeks. And if it is not obvious how to cook it, leave
      instructions on how to cook.

      Best thing to do *if you are hungry*. Ask the next ten hikers you see "Do
      you happen to have any extra food. I made a big mistake and brought too
      little." There is a very good chance that you will find someone who had
      realized that he oversupplied himself and would like to get rid of some
      weight. I gave away food twice to hikers on my last trip who were honest
      enough to admit a mistake and to ask. People WANT to be nice to others on
      the trail.

      Best thing *if you are caching food* in a bearbox -- even during a day trip:
      Clearly mark the food with your name and when you left it and when you plan
      to return. If there is a possibility that you won't return, add "If found
      after [date], feel free to take this food if you can use it." This protects
      you against someone thinking it was abandoned and also protects the poor
      ranger who might otherwise have to pack it out at the end of the season.
      Including your name "personalizes" the cache and makes it less likely that
      someone will just steal it -- it's easier to steal from an unnamed person
      than a named one. (This does not suggest that I think that it's a great
      idea to cache food in bearboxes -- it just means that I know people do, and
      they might as well do it in a way that minimizes the problem).

      Best thing to do *if you see food in a bearbox that is unlabelled*. Don't
      take it. John is correct in saying that it may have been left by a
      dayhiker. But label it so that poeple following you will know whether it
      has been there for a substantial time. Write something like "This food was
      left here on or before [date] by a person who failed to label it. If found
      after [date + 10 days], presumably the food has been abandoned and a hungry
      hiker should take it. Otherwise the rangers will have to pack it out."
      That way the food won't satisfy your hunger, but it will satisfy the hunger
      of a later hiker. And it may protect the ranger from the pack-out problem

      San Francisco, CA 94114-3707