Re: [John Muir Trail] Okay - let's try to plan a group hike

  • richey35@cs.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
      I'm up for a group hike. I usually try to get in 3 or 4 hikes of three or
      four days each in the Sierras + one longer trip of one or two weeks. This
      year I will probably be able to put in one long trip of 10 days at the
      maximum, or risk murder and mayhem from my wife for not doing a family trip
      over spring break. Being older than dirt, but packing really light, I can go
      20+ miles on a good day, but I find 12 is a good average distance for seeing
      a lot. I'm up for one long trip of up to 120 miles at the most, but I'd like
      to go at least 60. If it stays dry, starting a long trip in July would
      probably be better. Last year starting my trip around the beginning of
      August, streams were drying up south of Forester Pass and there were more
      marmots than flowers. I'm open to hiking pretty much anywhere in the
      Sierras. Hiking with people who want to go at different speeds or who don't
      get along can detract a lot from the experience. So it seems wise for a
      group to get together for a short hike in late May or June to see if people
      get along. I'm planning a trip for Memorial Day weekend and was thinking of
      going from Wishon Resevoir to Halfmoon Lake and back. Let me know if anybody
      wants to come along. - Bob Richey
      .
      << Sounds like a good idea. How many days, miles per day, and when?
      High Sierra or JMT Section? >>
    • Kathy <wingding@earthlink.net>
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
        Bob: I'm interested in the Wishon to Halfmoon hike if you do it over
        Memorial Day. From what I've read, that sounds like a good area for
        a early hike.

        Terry: What about you?

        Kathy

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2003
          but a 12 mile a day average is probably too much for me. I am
          planning on 10 miles a day for most of my trips this summer. Wishon
          to Halfmoon is 24 miles, so that wouldn't be a problem over 3 days.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richey35@c... wrote:
          > I'm up for a group hike. I usually try to get in 3 or 4 hikes of
          three or
          > four days each in the Sierras + one longer trip of one or two
          weeks. This
          > year I will probably be able to put in one long trip of 10 days at
          the
          > maximum, or risk murder and mayhem from my wife for not doing a
          family trip
          > over spring break. Being older than dirt, but packing really
          light, I can go
          > 20+ miles on a good day, but I find 12 is a good average distance
          for seeing
          > a lot. I'm up for one long trip of up to 120 miles at the most,
          but I'd like
          > to go at least 60. If it stays dry, starting a long trip in July
          would
          > probably be better. Last year starting my trip around the
          beginning of
          > August, streams were drying up south of Forester Pass and there
          were more
          > marmots than flowers. I'm open to hiking pretty much anywhere in
          the
          > Sierras. Hiking with people who want to go at different speeds or
          who don't
          > get along can detract a lot from the experience. So it seems wise
          for a
          > group to get together for a short hike in late May or June to see
          if people
          > get along. I'm planning a trip for Memorial Day weekend and was
          thinking of
          > going from Wishon Resevoir to Halfmoon Lake and back. Let me know
          if anybody
          > wants to come along. - Bob Richey
          > .
          > << Sounds like a good idea. How many days, miles per day, and
          when?
          > High Sierra or JMT Section? >>
        • terry thatcher
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2003
            smile----if your going to be there---i would love to do it--sounds nice--depends if i have to work that weekend--but for now sounds like a plan-----"I'm SO Excited"--grin
            "Kathy <wingding@...>" <wingding@...> wrote:Bob: I'm interested in the Wishon to Halfmoon hike if you do it over

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 22, 2003
              I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the Sawmill
              Pass Trail on the eastside over Memorial Day Weekend instead of
              Wishon.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, terry thatcher <tery4u@y...>

            • richey35@cs.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 22, 2003
                Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an ice axe.
                Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1. I don't
                have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an amazing
                hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really nice. - Bob R

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 23, 2003
                  Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
                  pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
                  passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

                  I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
                  to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

                • richey35@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
                    At 11.2 K Cottonwood Pass is low by comparison with most passes in the
                    Southern Sierra, and last year was really dry in the south, thus the big
                    fires in Sequoia National Forest. The predictions based on snow water
                    content I read on the PCT website suggest the Northern Sierra are about 10%
                    above normal, and the south is 25% below. PCT thru-hikers will probably set
                    out from Kennedy Meadows about June 1, but most will have ice axes. I think
                    Sawmill Pass could be pretty challenging without an ice axe, but it should be
                    beautiful if you make it. If you go north on the other side of the pass,
                    you would have to cross Woods Creek, which I have done way west of there
                    across the amazing bridge on the JMT. An unbridged crossing of Woods Creek
                    around June 1 could be hair-raising. I wouldn't want to take the chance of
                    having to turn back on the first three-day weekend of prime hiking season, so
                    let me know if anybody is interested in a lower altitude hike over Memorial
                    Day. If you'd like to see the attachment from the PCT website, please
                    contact me and I will forward it along. - Bob R

                    << <tt>
                    Last year, we went over Cottonwood Pass on Memorial Day, which was
                    pretty much free from snow, but Army and New Army Pass were not
                    passable. I guess each year and each pass is different.

                    I'm also thinking of Olancha Peak for Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like
                    to avoid an area filled with mosquitos.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richey35@c... wrote:
                    > Hey Kathy. To do this hike on Memorial Day I think you'd need an
                    ice axe.
                    > Anything much above 9-10K is till pretty much snowed in on June 1.
                    I don't
                    > have the skills or equipment to do it, but I'm sure it would be an
                    amazing
                    > hike. Once over the pass the area around Twin Lakes is really
                    nice. - Bob R

                    > << I think I'm going to try to make it to Sawmill Pass via the
                    Sawmill
                    > Pass Trail on the eastside over Memorial Day Weekend instead of
                    > Wishon. >> >>
                  • jimr_pdx
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 9, 2003
                      If a sequel sounds interesting, a mid-September shortie would be cool
                      - airline fares & a ride from SAC, RNO? permitting. I'm pretty
                      much occupied through August with other tasks & events. Several of us
                      from another Yahoo group got together in 2001 & went Wishon to
                      Halfmoon (& beyond, see http://www.granitic.net); nice area, pretty lake!
                    • Kathy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 13, 2003
                        I've settled on Olancha Peak for Memorial Day weekend. To find
                        water, that trip need to be early.