Charlotte Lake: "Impromptu Resupply"

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2009
      We all might agree (or not) that hiking out of MTR w/ 10 days of food is a heavy load. What are the chances of packing out a lesser load and using (taking your chances on variety) the Hikers' Barrel @ Charlotte Lake to get you to Whitney Portal?

      Any thought on this from anyone who has hiked through Charlotte Lake and visited the Hiker's barrel? I've read reports where lots of food is often "dropped" at this location.

      "007"
    • targetdoggmechanic
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2009
        I had no idea there was a barrel here. I would imagine it would be a good supply because at this point on the JMT people always underestimate their daily mileage after being in such good shape from hiking 12+ days on the average, and want to ditch the extra food. I commonly find extra stores in the bear boxes in the rae lakes and vidette areas, and rangers have to pack it out on their patrols, not their favorite thing to do. If you ever see a ranger in the backcountry, if you mention you are getting low on food they sometimes will have some on them they have picked up along the way. If supplies were low, its a short hike up Kearsearge and hitch to independence.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2009
          Last October, I found apparently-abandoned food in the bearboxes at Tyndall
          Creek and at Vidette Meadow and people offered by food (they wanted to
          lighten up) at Vidette. Did not look elsewhere.

          San Francisco, CA 94114-3707

        • Peter Burke
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2009
            John Ladd wrote:

            > Last October, I found apparently-abandoned food in the bearboxes at
            > Tyndall
            > Creek and at Vidette Meadow and people offered by food (they wanted to
            > lighten up) at Vidette. Did not look elsewhere.

            this July we looked in every bear box south of Woods Creek for some
            extra food and found nothing but a small baggie of granola below
            Forester. We met a hiker who planned on getting resupplied completely at
            MTR out of the barrels there and was told that he should have planned
            ahead and only got half the food he really needed there (Pat wasn't
            going to let him take an entire bucket), plus could not find anything on
            his way south from there. So we gave him some of our food when we saw
            him just below Trail Crest. He had nothing, mostly because somebody had
            told him he could find enough along the way.

            Bottom line - his trip sucked, even though he had a very light pack.
            Walking up to Whitney summit and getting plastered with lightning and
            hail while we took a beeline down from Trail Crest didn't make that trip
            any better for him, I bet...

            Almost every PCT hiker I met on the way north was planning on heavily
            resupplying out of hiker barrels. Most had already passed through in
            early July, but there was still some traffic. Perhaps that's why the
            barrels were so empty during early and mid-July. Later in the season,
            those calorie-burners are well north of the Sierras :-)

            Peter
          • skdupre
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 20, 2009
              Ok, I'll plan on the 10 day resupply at MTR and if I feel I'm carrying too much I'll make deposits in the Bear Boxes. Banking on the hiker barrels isn't worth the risk for me.

              007