Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Section hiking the JMT

  • richey35@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 7:42 PM
      Hi. I section hiked the JMT over the last three summers. In '00 I went from
      Yosemite to Red's Meadow, then from there to South Lake over Bishop Pass, and
      last summer from Bishop Pass to Whitney. Those are the easiest sections to
      arrange transportation from. Usually you can get a ride back to your car
      from people you meet on the trail. You'll never meet a more helpful group of
      humans anywheer on the panet than on the JMT after you get away from the
      major trailheads.

      My personal favorite areas were Island Pass to Garnet Lake, before and after
      Selden Pass, Evolution Valley through Evolution Lake, Rae Lakes to Forester
      Pass, and Bighorn Plateau. I guess that covers a fairly big proportion of
      the whole trail. If anybody on the list would like to develop a section hike
      group on the JMT or maybe the High Sierra Trail, let me know. My guess is
      that this may be a drier winter than anybody expected in the Sierras, so July
      may be better time to go than August.

      Bob Richey

      << Yes, I'd like to know which sections you liked best. I'd like to go
      in on the same side that I come out unless I start in Yosemite and
      take the shuttle bus from the Mammoth area. >>
    • Kathy <wingding@earthlink.net>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2 12:53 PM
        Thanks for all the information everyone - it's very helpful. My maps
        arrived, so I've been checking them out. I'd really like to go over
        Forester Pass. I went over Kearsarge Pass to Charlotte Lake, and
        over Shepherd Pass to just beyond the Pass last summer; and it was
        beautiful in both areas. I'd like to cover the area inbetween and
        check out the Lake South America area and Center Basin. I've also
        been up to Whitney a couple times, but not further west than Trail
        Crest. Last summer I also did an in and out trip from South Lake to
        Muir Pass - that was a beautiful area too. Maybe I'll end up
        splitting it into two sections of about 40 miles each, if that's
        possible, this summer. It's going to be a tough decision on which
        section to cover.

        This summer, I'd like to do a long weekend trip and go over Taboose
        Pass. I also feel the need to check out Thousand Island Lake. Last
        year, most of my trips were weekend trips except for a couple of 3
        days and one four day trip. This I think I'll expand to 3 to 6 day
        trips, or possibly a little longer.

        A group trip for a section of the JMT or the High Sierra Trail, would
        interest me - depending on when it is.

        There are so many in at --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com,
        richey35@c... wrote:
        > Hi. I section hiked the JMT over the last three summers. In '00 I
        went from
        > Yosemite to Red's Meadow, then from there to South Lake over Bishop
        Pass, and
        > last summer from Bishop Pass to Whitney. Those are the easiest
        sections to
        > arrange transportation from. Usually you can get a ride back to
        your car
        > from people you meet on the trail. You'll never meet a more
        helpful group of
        > humans anywheer on the panet than on the JMT after you get away
        from the
        > major trailheads.
        >
        > My personal favorite areas were Island Pass to Garnet Lake, before
        and after
        > Selden Pass, Evolution Valley through Evolution Lake, Rae Lakes to
        Forester
        > Pass, and Bighorn Plateau. I guess that covers a fairly big
        proportion of
        > the whole trail. If anybody on the list would like to develop a
        section hike
        > group on the JMT or maybe the High Sierra Trail, let me know. My
        guess is
        > that this may be a drier winter than anybody expected in the
        Sierras, so July
        > may be better time to go than August.
        >
        > Bob Richey
        >
        > << Yes, I'd like to know which sections you liked best. I'd like
        to go
        > in on the same side that I come out unless I start in Yosemite and
        > take the shuttle bus from the Mammoth area. >>
      • terry thatcher
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2 2:13 PM
          "Kathy <wingding@...>" <wingding@...> wrote:Thanks for all the information everyone - it's very helpful. My maps

          richey35@c... wrote:
          > Hi. I section hiked the JMT over the last three summers. In '00 I
          went from
          > Yosemite to Red's Meadow, then from there to South Lake over Bishop
          Pass, and
          > last summer from Bishop Pass to Whitney. Those are the easiest
          sections to
          > arrange transportation from. Usually you can get a ride back to
          your car
          > from people you meet on the trail. You'll never meet a more
          helpful group of
          > humans anywheer on the panet than on the JMT after you get away
          from the
          > major trailheads.
          >
          > My personal favorite areas were Island Pass to Garnet Lake, before
          and after
          > Selden Pass, Evolution Valley through Evolution Lake, Rae Lakes to
          Forester
          > Pass, and Bighorn Plateau. I guess that covers a fairly big
          proportion of
          > the whole trail. If anybody on the list would like to develop a
          section hike
          > group on the JMT or maybe the High Sierra Trail, let me know. My
          guess is
          > that this may be a drier winter than anybody expected in the
          Sierras, so July
          > may be better time to go than August.
          >
          > Bob Richey
          >
          > << Yes, I'd like to know which sections you liked best. I'd like
          to go
          > in on the same side that I come out unless I start in Yosemite and
          > take the shuttle bus from the Mammoth area. >>

          yes ka

        • terry thatcher
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2 2:14 PM
            yes Kathy on the group JMT or the HIgh Sierra hike this summer